View Single Post

Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 AM
Posting everyday

Default Was Always already written in 1991?

Maybe this is common knowledge and I just missed the boat, but I had always assumed this song to maybe had been written somewhere in 1993 and pulled from the movie / shifted onto Cross Road in 1994.

Today I was reading the book "Bon Jovi - In Their Own Words" which basically covers different topics from 1984 to 1996 by assembling quotes from all band members. And I stumbled across this one:

Quote:
We've sorted all of our differences by now. Straightened all that shit out. In the end, Jon and I went on holiday together and just started writing. That's when we came up with 'Always'. I never thought we would actually break up [...]
Richie, November 1994
He's pretty certainly talking about the fall of 1991 when they went vacationing on St. Thomas to work it all out or at least that time frame.

Then I found this quote:
Quote:
'Always' was written by Jon for a film called Romeo's Bleeding, and that's the first line of the song. We recorded it in England during the 'Keep The Faith' tour, but then Jon looked at the movie, didn't like it and so pulled the song. But Jon (he actually may have referred to John Kalodner here) still liked the song so we went down to Nashville and re-recorded it for the album Cross Road.
Richie, June 1995
It is known that it was John Kalodner who found the shelved recording of Always and convinced the band to go back to that since they had to come up with something for the unplanned Greatest Hits album.

So some of these things make me question:
- Was Always written before the collaboration on songs for Keep The Faith actually began? With the movie having been released in 1993, the script might've been sent to Jon in 1991 since he was a sure-fire address in terms of movie songs after Blaze of Glory had hit the previous year.

- The interview doesn't clear up whether the band recorded it in May or September 1993 (by Jon's vocals I'd say the first), BUT the final version is from 1994 and the Box Set demo doesn't sound like the band's playing on it (and has female backings). So there must be another "mid-stage" version of this song in the vaults we've never heard?
To this day, I had assumed that Jon had recorded it with random musicians as sort of a side project for the movie, but actually the band must've done the final movie version.