View Single Post

Old 05-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's my faith View Post
He got older, he was singing like a beast for 20 years and he didn't protect his voice all these years. Also, add smoking and drugs and bad luck (on the other hand GnR's Axl and Aerosmith's Tyler can still sing). It's not suprising, just the natural flow of events...
As far as I know, Jon has never done drugs. Apparently he smoked pot a few times as a teenager, but nothing more.

However, let's get back to the topic. My theory is that the HAND tour was the last one that saw JBJ firing on all cylinders - improvising during certain songs, going for difficult notes (with his old, chesty/raspy vocal technique instead of the more polished '08-'11 one), changing the setlist on a nightly basis, screaming during KTF and Saturday Night, moving on stage the way he did in the old days... From the LH tour onwards, for me it looks like THAT Jon - the f***ing ROCK STAR - seems to have disappeared and replaced by a (much) less exciting clone. Just take a look at this version of Saturday Night (from 1:46:33 onwards):

https://youtu.be/g-2JoQoSQd4

He struggles a bit with the first two choruses, but then he gets to the breakdown... and BOOM, every single bum note is immediately forgiven and forgotten.

Suddenly, John Francis Bongiovi Jr. finds his old stage persona - and voice. When he goes completely apeshit near the last chorus and screams his lungs out as the band brings on the build-up behind him, I (ashamedly) burst out a few brief tears.

Holy shit, I miss 2005... the summer was great (at least here in Finland), I started pre-school and Jon could still sing.

Good times.

Last edited by BJFan99; 05-25-2017 at 04:34 PM..