View Single Post

Old 06-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny
Default What If Crossroad were a double album?

From time to time I tend make playlists of songs. This time I wanted to put together a second disc of Crossroad as if it were released as a double album.
I didn't go for a list of my favourite tracks (otherwise there would be Stick To Your Guns etc,) but I tried to come up with what could have been released based on Jon's comments from an interview and other known facts.
The order was made using similar logic as the first disc. Speaking about the first disc, I used the international full version of 15 tracks. That means with In These Arms and Never Say Goodbye and without Prayer '94.
Some songs were obvious choices because they were clearly left out, that's why it starts with Born To Be My Baby which was the biggest hit that wasn't included on Crossroad and it kinda is in the same vein as Livin' On A Prayer.
You can find there Jon's Miracle and Richie's Stranger In This Town because Jon said in one interview that he would have included them if there were enough space. Personally, I'd only keep there Stranger to balance out Jon's Blaze Of Glory from the first disc but I used the known info.
I also added two "new" songs that we know are from the period Crossroad was released. Good Guys were an obvious choice and as the second song went for Nobody's Hero because I wanted to add such a type of Jon&Richie song and even though I probably prefer The Fire Inside or Gotta Have A Reason might be eligible I decided for this one because I put it back to back with Prayer '94. Kinda the same thing they did on the fourth boxset disc. This time only with Prayer '94 and in reverse order There are a few other tracks that would deserve the spot as well - Open All Night for example.
Edge Of The Broken Heart earned its place because even though it wasn't a single, it charted as a soundtrack song.
Blood On Blood and Wild In The Streets were supposed to be singles (probably), they had their videos filmed and released and also were total staples in the setlists from their inception and after the release of Crossroad.
I wanted to add I Believe in its single version but because I don't have it and because I wanted to do it similarly as they did it with the first disc - I kept the version with intro and put it in a similar position as Lay Your Hands On Me has on the first disc.
Living In Sin takes the spot of the lead ballad because it's the second biggest single that was left out originally.
Silent Night and Only Lonely have their place there as well because they were singles even though not that much successful.
On the other hand She Don't Know was left out because.. well, my personal taste intervened here plus it's not a band's song as such because it wasn't written by any member.
An early version had The Boys Are Back In Town included but I wanted to make a 15 disc version (to complement the first disc equally) and because it's a cover (though released, maybe as a single around the Mosccow Music Peace Festival) I left it out.
Apart from those two, I considered I'd Die For You because I just dig that song so much and it definitely has a lot of single potential plus was a live staple. Also Tokyo Road would deserve its place but I decided to use the more global singles from that album.

Track list:
01. Born To Be My Baby
02. Good Guys Don't Always Wear White
03. Blood On Blood
04. Dry County
05. I Believe
06. Wild In The Streets
07. Only Lonely
08. Edge Of The Broken Heart
09. Living In Sin
10. Miracle
11. Silent Night
12. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
13. Stranger In This Town
14. Prayer '94
15. Nobody's Hero

Any thought, comments? Can someone skilled make an artwork for the double disc version?
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights

Last edited by Johny; 06-14-2020 at 04:26 PM..