Thread: What's next?
View Single Post

Old 05-23-2018, 03:53 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

for art's sake... nothing would satisfy me more than seeing Jon call it a day. It may be selfish but it's honest.
I finally get why the KTF/these days/Crush period felt so exciting. up to that point (slippery, new jersey included), BJ really felt like a band. It's ironic, Bon Jovi has always been one of those bands where the majority of vanilla fans really believe it to be a solo act. That's always pissed the rest of us, right ?

Thing is, we all knew it WAS in fact, a band, even if, contractually, Jon was the CEO.

But let's move past the business side of things.
I was watching a video of the band winning some award back in 1995 and hell, they walked in and accepted that prize like a band. Oddly enough, I was watching a video of the band performing a short version of HAND back in 2004/05 with Shanks on rhythm guitar (this was probably before Bobby joined). Someone commented 'John Shanks ruined this band' - and to an extent, it's true.

I'm not blaming the guy. He is a hired gun, a very good musician, producer and engineer. I wish I were in his shoes ! - But from 2005 onwards, Richie and the guys really stepped down from their creative roles. Shanks became Jon's sidekick and that was that. Their sound changed dramatically and so did their dynamic.

Bounce was no by no means a great record (I felt, at the time, that it destroyed everything Crush had built up to that point) but it still felt like a band effort.
BJ were always a commercial/radio-friendly driven act but it never felt as polished and lifeless as it did up until the late 2000s.

Richie is not coming back folks and I think Jon is more interested in helping his boys becoming entrepreneurs and building houses than in making records that matter. Nothing wrong with that. If they step down now, they will do so in a blaze of glory (pun intended), considering they did one last performance with Richie and Alec on the night they received the award they've always deserved.

So, what's next ? I vote on calling it quits. But that's just me.

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011