Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Where did it all go wrong :(

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 05:07 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicanio View Post
At the end of the day when faced with reschedulling MSG, Denver was an easy sacrifice to make from a business standpoint. Ticket sales were well down on this show (not helped by already being postponed once)
Most of the second row and many premium seats still remained unsold on the day it was pulled and Groupon were also running a promotion for it where they had 1000+ seats availableat $20!

Unfortunately some fans who did have tickets have lost their flight & hotel money TWICE. I really hope Jon keeps his word and makes it up to those guys, I have no reason to think he wont.

I can only imagine the hatred on here if Richie did the same thing. Cancelling an already reschedulled show to play a more lucrative prestigious show elsewhere
All the Jon-Richie debate aside, I still don't understand why they haven't rescheduled the Denver show. I get that MSG is so busy they only had so many dates available at short notice, but Denver can't have that problem, right? I mean, Nuggets are not in the playoffs and I am not aware of other sports teams that could be tenants afterwards. MSG is a logical business priority, but given how stripped-down the stage production is this tour, it can't be impossible to play Denver in about a week from now and not take a huge financial loss, right?

Old 04-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
All the Jon-Richie debate aside, I still don't understand why they haven't rescheduled the Denver show. I get that MSG is so busy they only had so many dates available at short notice, but Denver can't have that problem, right? I mean, Nuggets are not in the playoffs and I am not aware of other sports teams that could be tenants afterwards. MSG is a logical business priority, but given how stripped-down the stage production is this tour, it can't be impossible to play Denver in about a week from now and not take a huge financial loss, right?
I agree. There must be other factors weare not aware of for Jon to make this choice and let fans down. He obviously didnt set out on purpose to let anyone down but his reasons could be personal? I read elsewhere his kids were graduating imminently. Maybe that was a factor and there is a family holiday booked. Maybe there will be some paparazzi after MSG which will confirm?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Quote:
I agree. There must be other factors weare not aware of for Jon to make this choice and let fans down. He obviously didnt set out on purpose to let anyone down but his reasons could be personal? I read elsewhere his kids were graduating imminently. Maybe that was a factor and there is a family holiday booked. Maybe there will be some paparazzi after MSG which will confirm?
All I guessed at was maybe the MSG shows have already stretched the contracts of those who work on the show and they wouldn't be able to squeeze in another show as they all go off to work on other shows.

There's bound to be a heap of logistical issues in there to make their cancellation happen. It would be nice if they could go back around the next leg / rock in rio or even do a more intimate make up show for those who had tickets to either date if there really was that few.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 04-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Could well be. Isn't there something like Easter holidays in the US?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
But that's not completely why people have issues with Richie. Yes the tour walk out. But his cancellations of the Aftermath tour and fibbing that it was because he was sick was the issue. It was low ticket sales. That was the first time I was mad and it was pre leaving the band. Minds are made up because there's nothing anyone can say that will make one go "oh right, maybe his playing hasn't deteriorated to the same licks over and over and halfassed solo performances" because the other side sometimes doesn't say more than taking shots at Jon for letting Richie go.
Even since he's left, He (was RSO) failed to show for the Cindy Lauper charity gig and the name was on the marquee up until the show started. He missed a show with that Roman, young Russian musician in LA that had said would be there, he missed the scheduled Eddie Trunk interview - nothing was said the night he was supposed to be there but it did happen some months later. The fist gig in Australia was cancelled because the "album was at a critical stage". The shows that have been done were very inconsistent. Most of his performances have been a show up on stage with someone else, do one or a few and leave. Jon may reschedule a hand full out of 100, cancel even less and I can't recall ever just not showing up. I think it would be a gamble to make a large investment in Richie's shows right now as you just don't know. The work ethic seems entirely different. The fans feel it the most at this point - neither of them need the paycheck but it's nice when they consider how it effects the fans.... It's like Mommy and Daddy are fighting - or at this point have a divorce so we (I) see all the little differences now.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:18 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
I'm not sure that rescheduling the Denver show at this point would be a good idea, honestly. If you had made arrangements to go to two shows that were both cancelled within a month of each other, would you even consider taking a risk on a third one? Especially if you knew that the second one had been cancelled just to make space in the schedule for a show at a preferred venue? I don't think I would. Maybe next tour or at least a little further down the road.

But then the Denver fans may not see it that way at all. Based on comments people have made here and in the other thread, it seems that the general consensus is that not only is there nothing unethical or unprofessional about an artist breaking an agreement that was made in good faith, but it's a sound business move. I still don't think it's right, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Like people have said, I guess it's just a risk you take when you buy tickets.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:12 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
You're very articulate but my God, you really do labour the point.

So, you are saying Richie has never said "I wrote" (or words directly implying that) when referencing Bon Jovi songs? Because he has.

"I'm the guy that writes the songs" ......"the studio process where I produce the records also..."

https://youtu.be/h4MO92_H1kg

Check around 3:30.

In fact, it's not just Bon Jovi songs. "I wrote a bunch of hits for him, produced the record" .........referencing Alice Cooper in another recent interview.

I agree Jon has also done similar in regards to Bon Jovi songs, numerous times in fact , BUT.....he IS the only one of the two who actually HAS solely wrote a Bon Jovi song. Isn't he?

I'm not suggesting RS is the Devil incarnate, but I, ME, (not you) have seen more recent examples of him being less than gracious regarding BJ than I have of him being kind and genuine.

N.B ....I am not implying Richie has NEVER spoke fondly of Jon/the band or never referenced "we" in regards to songwriting.

I hate being so pedantic but you are so obsessive in pulling people up all the time. (Personal opinion, not fact)

I feel like I should ask a solicitor to proofread this first. : )
I'm sorry; and thank you. People have sometimes complained about the length of my posts, but I don't think anyone has ever told me specifically what it was about "all the words" that annoyed them. (Don't get me wrong. They've been specific enough about annoying opinions; just not about the style. LOL) Although one guy did say that I was difficult to argue with because I had a comeback for everything. I wonder, now, if what he meant was that I labored the point and wouldn't let it go. Something for me to think about, anyway, so I sincerely appreciate your comments.

No, I wasn't saying Richie had never said "I wrote..." when it would have been more accurate to say, "I co-wrote..." As you say, he's done that many times. And you're also correct about Jon being the only one who is credited as the sole writer on some of the songs. But he has often said, "I wrote..." when he was talking about songs he co-wrote, too. They have both done that as far back as NJ, I guess. I know it goes back as far as interviews for the first solo albums. Even David said, "I wrote it" when someone questioned why he would sing ITA in some of his shows.

The point was that nobody got upset or assumed that any of them was taking undeserved credit until after Richie left in 2013. THEN ppl started raking him over the coals, and said he was trying to act like he wrote the songs alone. I don't think he ever said, or meant to imply that. He was just repeating some of the same comments he had been making for years. The same is true for the other comments people took exception to. There was nothing new in them. That includes the comments he made in the video you posted. I had forgotten about the "lead singer" comment but that one caused a stir, too. Sometimes it was "the lead singer" and other times it was "a lead singer"; but if you look at his pre-Jovi history, it's pretty clear that the only time he was "the" lead singer was when he pulled together whatever musicians were available on a given night to play the bars under the name "Richie Sambora and Friends." So it sounds like an exaggeration, but the fact is, it's also true that he did often sing lead in the other bands he was in, not like IBTFY with Jovi, as an occasional fill-in for the lead singer; but he actually recorded the lead vocals in certain songs, and then sang those songs in the shows. (Think Brian May, Keith Richards.)

The reason I asked if you thought Jon was also classless when he made some of the same statements (and some that claimed even more credit) is because a lot of the same fans who thought Richie was an asshole for saying, "I wrote..." thought it was perfectly okay for David or Jon to make the same statements under the same conditions because "they weren't dissing the band." To me, it seemed like they were on a witch-hunt and just looking for more reasons to be pissed off with Richie. That was the only explanation I could see since he's been making the same comments since they were all "puppies".

So I wondered if you, too, were holding Richie to a different standard than the one you held others to. A lot of people here have been prone to do that since April 2013. It's probably a moot point, anyway. Captain Jovi made a good point in an earlier post. By now most people have already made up their minds and don't want to be confused with facts.

Reading back over my earlier post, I realized that my questions may have sounded more like an accusation than I intended. It's a raw nerve with me; but I truly was just curious. So I hope you weren't offended.

And btw, I promise: No solicitors required.

Last edited by JackieBlue; 04-11-2017 at 05:07 AM..
Old 04-11-2017, 03:58 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I'm sorry; and thank you. People have sometimes complained about the length of my posts, but I don't think anyone has ever told me specifically what it was about "all the words" that annoyed them. (Don't get me wrong. They've been specific enough about annoying opinions; just not about the style. LOL) Although one guy did say that I was difficult to argue with because I had a comeback for everything. I wonder, now, if what he meant was that I labored the point and wouldn't let it go. Something for me to think about, anyway, so I sincerely appreciate your comments.

No, I wasn't saying Richie had never said "I wrote..." when it would have been more accurate to say, "I co-wrote..." As you say, he's done that many times. And you're also correct about Jon being the only one who is credited as the sole writer on some of the songs. But he has often said, "I wrote..." when he was talking about songs he co-wrote, too. They have both done that as far back as NJ, I guess. I know it goes back as far as interviews for the first solo albums. Even David said, "I wrote it" when someone questioned why he would sing ITA in some of his shows.

The point was that nobody got upset or assumed that any of them was taking undeserved credit until after Richie left in 2013. THEN ppl started raking him over the coals, and said he was trying to act like he wrote the songs alone. I don't think he ever said, or meant to imply that. He was just repeating some of the same comments he had been making for years. The same is true for the other comments people took exception to. There was nothing new in them. That includes the comments he made in the video you posted. I had forgotten about the "lead singer" comment but that one caused a stir, too. Sometimes it was "the lead singer" and other times it was "a lead singer"; but if you look at his pre-Jovi history, it's pretty clear that the only time he was "the" lead singer was when he pulled together whatever musicians were available on a given night to play the bars under the name "Richie Sambora and Friends." So it sounds like an exaggeration, but the fact is, it's also true that he did often sing lead in the other bands he was in, not like IBTFY with Jovi, as an occasional fill-in for the lead singer; but he actually recorded the lead vocals in certain songs, and then sang those songs in the shows. (Think Brian May, Keith Richards.)

The reason I asked if you thought Jon was also classless when he made some of the same statements (and some that claimed even more credit) is because a lot of the same fans who thought Richie was an asshole for saying, "I wrote..." thought it was perfectly okay for David or Jon to make the same statements under the same conditions because "they weren't dissing the band." To me, it seemed like they were on a witch-hunt and just looking for more reasons to be pissed off with Richie. That was the only explanation I could see since he's been making the same comments since they were all "puppies".

So I wondered if you, too, were holding Richie to a different standard than the one you held others to. A lot of people here have been prone to do that since April 2013. It's probably a moot point, anyway. Captain Jovi made a good point in an earlier post. By now most people have already made up their minds and don't want to be confused with facts.

Reading back over my post, I realized that my questions may have sounded more like an accusation than I intended. It's a raw nerve with me; but I truly was just curious. So I hope you weren't offended.

And btw, I promise: No solicitors required.
April 2013, that was around the time Richie left the band right? Wow, has it been already 4 years ago? And to this day we are still debating about it. Crazy!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:05 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa3 View Post
April 2013, that was around the time Richie left the band right? Wow, has it been already 4 years ago? And to this day we are still debating about it. Crazy!
Yep, the Calgary show was April 2, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:36 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Yep, the Calgary show was April 2, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep. I was there. Bobby taking the lead. Good God.