View Single Post

Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
It's not only his voice - it's also his passion of artistry and overall delivery. In the first two videos you can clearly see (and hear) Jon feel every word he sings. He puts so much emotion into his singing and the overall performance, and holds absolutely nothing back. Can you say the same about the last two clips? Besides sounding like the worst pile of shit humanly imaginable, Jon looks like a used toy robot that hasn't had its batteries changed in years. He sure as hell doesn't look like he wanted to be on stage that night. Especially the version of Always is a literal struggle of death, leaving Jon look extremely frustrated and pissed off on several occasions. That said, I don't know if it's more due to his own disappointment about the vocal results than him actually being down. I'd say it's a combination of both, but what do you think?

In my eyes, Jon hasn't looked to be honestly enjoying himself on stage since 2011. That didn't matter in May/June 2013 yet, as many shows were still enjoyable (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Oslo, Manchester, Birmingham, Slane, Sunderland, Berlin, Cologne, Prague, Milan, Bern), but IMO from July '13 onwards JBJ has been running more or less on autopilot.
You say it's not just voice, but I'd argue that everything starts with his voice. His "passion" declined together with voice. Think about it if you were in Jon's shoes - how passionate and energetic and joyful would you be on stage if you had to worry constantly about reaching every semi-high note that you could've hit no problem just a few months ago? It's no coincidence that the two correlate so much.

It declined very rapidly, but it's been quite steady from 2011. The few 2012 shows they did he sounded considerably worse, and then with each passing month of 2013 it got progressively worse. Most of your examples come from the European leg, which is somewhat of an exception, because Jon has always brought his A+ game for European crowds for decades. But still, he sounded considerably better in March-April than June-July.