View Single Post

Old 04-02-2018, 10:34 PM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Fortunately for Jon, that sentence describes a vast majority of Bon Jovi fanbase. It's quite a phemomenon.

I remember how Whitney Houston went on her last tour in 2009-2010 and was destroyed by media because of how terribly she sounded. Paul Stanley has been getting killed for the shape of his voice for the past 5 years. Jon isn't in much better shape, but his fanbase is either a lot more clueless or forgiving. Probably, a combination of both. Good for him.

As for the subject in question, it depends on HOW CONSISTENT qualifies as "consistent".

I think the O2 residency (June, 2010) was Jon's post-2002 peak vocally. He wasn't at his best as a frontman and some setlists left a lot to be desired, but vocally he was ON. I don't think he hit a single bum note in those 12 shows, whether it was Always, Something To Believe In, Hey God, you name it.

If you want to be more "liberal", then 2011 was pretty good too. Jon was showing signs of decline (which was at the time perceived as "fatigue"), but still had some great performances, even if there some notes he didn't hit he had in 2010 (STBI or TD are two examples that come to mind).
I really can't argue with anything in this post. I've always thought that Jon's voice sounded a bit better during the O2 run/South America/Australia shows in 2010 than in 2011 (though by the end of the tour in 2011, his voice was pretty solid). Ever since then, he's been so inconsistent.

So I'd probably say this show in particular is one I'd pinpoint as one of his last GREAT performances.