View Single Post

Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Axl sounds dreadful when singing the Guns N' Roses stuff. Yes, he sounded brilliant during the AXl/DC shows but ever since GnR reunited he's grown back into doing Mickey Mouse. You're not able to hear so in concert because he gets drowned in the mix but just click on any song from the reunion tour and it sounds dreadful.

The sad thing is he deliberately sounds like this because he's working with a vocal coach. His original way of singing was damaging his vocal chords so he's had to resort to another way of singing which is this weird falsetto sound he's making nowadays. There's the occasional raspy scream or verse but for the most part his range is gone.
For the most part you are right, but one small thing - Axl/DC thing was in the middle of the reunion, not before (as your sentence structuring would suggest). Which means that his 'mickey' style of singing during GNR (minus 4-5 songs per show like I said in my response) is more of a choice than "for the most part his range being gone". It's interesting how he sounded like if he toured with AC/DC for more than two legs, but he did not show any signs of slowing down at the end of the NA leg, so maybe it's more sustainable than we thing and his singing during GNR is all down to his laziness as supposed to 'vocal preservation'. My guess that it's some combination of both.

Still, I'd take this version of Axl - 100% set in original key with a few killer performances per show and remaining songs sounding OK due to drawn out acoustics in a stadium - over what Jon is doing at this time. Thus, I really struggle to understand that the voting results at the moment, while in Axl's favor, are still somewhat competitive.

Last edited by Walleris; 10-24-2018 at 07:32 PM..