View Single Post

Old 12-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Dry County

As was written by JackieBlue in August after the Endicott show:

I wasn't criticizing Jon when I said he needs to get help - psychological or otherwise. What I meant was he needs to do whatever is necessary to take care of himself and find his bliss again. Since i-Heart, I've seen very little that makes me think Jon or the band are enjoying anything about it anymore. And I've seen nothing since the release of THINFS, that convinces me.

When the THINFS video was released, a few people said the band looked happy and cohesive. The same people comment, now, about how everybody's happy with the status quo and Jon and the band seem to be enjoying themselves. I honestly wish that some of you would tell me, specifically, what makes you believe that; because, hand to God, I just can't see it.

Smiles look forced because the joy never seems to reach their eyes. Jon says the right words; but there's no conviction. He's visably anxious in group interviews when anybody but him has the mic. It's like he's holding his breath, hoping they won't say the wrong thing.

On stage, stress is evident in Jon's countenance, in his rigid posture, and in the lack of mobility. It's not just that he doesn't move away from the mic; what concerns me is the death-grip he has on it. He looks like he's literally hanging on by a thread.

I'm sorry; but I don't see a man who's doing what he enjoys at all. What I see is somebody with dogged determination to push through, come hell or high water; not because he wants to, but because, for whatever reason, he feels like he has to.

I've posted this video before because it's one of my favorites. I loved the video of the fan club tribute in Milan, too, where I think Jon may have been at his most genuine in 2013 but, even then, he seemed overwhelmed by bittersweet emotions.

This one is the last time I can remember seeing Jon truly enjoying himself on stage and even then it lasted a very short time. But for those few minutes, Jon looked like he was totally caught up in the pure joy of entertaining and having fun with all of it.

https://youtu.be/RXw3EFubx9g

That's the Jon I want to see again. I can live with imperfect performances. I just want to see him and the band get their joy back.

I agree with every word above.