View Single Post

Old 12-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
First, who says that he can't?

Second, who says that his vocal decline is caused by stress only?

I feel like this myth deserves to be debunked. He already showed big signs of decline in early 2013 before Richie's departure and, as you said, the decline was subtle. He didn't lose his voice right away, he lost it gradually over the following months.

I'm not saying that stress couldn't play a part, but I refuse to believe that is what caused it. Any trained vocal coach will tell you that you should sing from your diaphragm and not straining through your throat, which is exactly what Jon has done for his entire career.

Stop looking for excuses and accept the fact that our beloved Jon did not bother to develop a sustainable singing technique and is paying the price.
Not saying that you're wrong, but do you have any proof for that theory? In the 80s and at least early 90s, he was definitely singing through his throat, hence the rasp and everything. But from the 2000s onwards, I think he actually worked out a technique that *is* (or was) sustainable, hence the different sound (probably even the more nasal one)...

How and why that suddenly went downhill during 2013, I don't know. But from what I've learned the last years about Jon being introverted and stuff, I can imagine (like Jackie) that something happened that made his world collapse a bit and lose his confidence. And then things started to go downhill, which lead to some osrt of a downward-spiral...

Last edited by jovifan93; 12-12-2017 at 08:33 PM..