View Single Post

Old 12-27-2006, 08:31 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by APK876 View Post
In regards to...

The song helped her get through loosing just about everything to Katrina. Picturing what used to be the Gulf Coast while listening to those lyrics touches my heart. The lyrics of that song were able to take on a meaning they never intended. I think that's one of Jon & Richie's gifts as songwriters. They do write songs that can appeal to people in situations they never imagined when they wrote the song.QUOTE]

I'm glad your friend found something in it, but compared to numerous other songs by other artists, I cringe when I hear it, it's really a low level reach, especially politically. JBJ mentioned how he wrote it to appease both the left and right wing people where if he had written what he really felt from his gut versus being worried what people would think, I think we would have a better song. It's VERY well intentioned but compared to hundreds of other songs I have heard, it's weak (IMO). Please remember, it's my feelings only. But after hearing BOF I can see why Springsteen fans make fun of JBJ.

Were they really taking chances and being different with SWW and NJ? QUOTE]

Yes, they were using a acoustic guitar, recording in mono, talk box, etc. SWW was different from what else was out there and NJ was recorded from the gut without constant "over thinking". Really, did the minor changes to HAND and Complicated really improve the songs? No. In fact, they dumbed them down.

What it boils down to me is that they have sold 100 million records, had another #1 song, sold out stadiums in the US....what other reasures could he possibly want?

At some point, I want the band to go back to their roots and create music that will not sound embarassing a decade from now. I want complicated albums that may take me a year to appreciate rather than chasing commcerial dreams of grandeur.

xT

I see your point but I simply disagree about NJ. NJ took no chances, was rushed to get out and was merely SWW pt 2 in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I love the album, I just don't believe it was all that different than it's predecessor. I went into this agreeing with Becky that SWW was just another 80's album, albeit a frigging great one but I never thought of it your way. They did do a lot different than the current (at the time, obviously) rock scene, good points.