View Single Post

Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I'm bringing this conversation over from another thread. Bon Jovi took the Soul Asylum song Runaway Train for Someday I'll be Saturday Night and we hold it in such wide regard. Why do we give a get out of jail free card for that and not from songs from the last decade?

Seb made the point of "Probably because that's considered a good song, while most of the recent stuff just isn't." but that just doesn't do it for me. Would everyone have to like the song enough for us to say "It's okay this isn't original work because what they did sounds great?"

Would love some thoughts.
What exactly do you find so similar between the songs? The lyrical theme may be the same but in that case you could say that Carrie by Europe is the same song as Always, because both of them is about broken hearted love.

Again, Bon Jovi writes pop influenced rock music, though rock influenced pop music may lean more towards the truth these days. There are only a certain number of songs that can be written in the genre Bon Jovi is playing, at least since 2000. Some melodies may be similar, some arrangements may be like eachother but some of you guys are pushing the "Jon is stealing" theory to far.

The Beautiful World rip of How Far We've Come is pretty brutal though, can't be a coincidence.