View Single Post

Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

I really think Bon Jovi (especially in the early days) was a band that wore its influences on its sleeve. It has been done to death how much he was chasing a Springsteen style etc. and I imagine that they were students of what was then current music as well as what had happened in the past. Jon was more than open on some occasions about how a certain song got its sound, they have name tracks and artists that inspired their music. Did they steal, I think back in the day not outright no, but I think they tried to create the vibe or sound of songs they loved.

I am a writer and I decided around two years ago to write an adventure story for a book of shorts I was putting together. It was a departure from my usual subject matter but I loved the adventure novels of Clive Cussler while growing up. Anyway, there is no doubt that anybody reading that adventure short would say, hey this is like Cussler. I didnīt copy him in the slightest but his influence was in my finger for sure.

I find it interesting that Bon Jovi has never been sued for plagarism. I know some of you will say "not that we know of", but we know of other major acts who have been, so I doubt that Bon Jovi could keep this all under wraps especially if they are the prolific stealerīs some suggest.