Rosemary S. is credited with typing this and posting it on Backstage:

April 24, 2006 issue
Toby Keith on the cover.
Jon on pg. 58
Photo: Jon sitting backwards on a wooden chair
Sorry, I don't have a scanner.

Article:

Jon Bon Jovi
"May music is rock'n' roll," declares Jon Bon Jovi, who's sold over 100 million albums worldwide as the leader of rock group Bon Jovi. "That said, because of our longevity, we've attracted three decades worth of fans. And some of them listen to country music."

So it seemed like a no-brainer for Jon to co-write a country song, "Who Says You Can't Go Home," and record it as a duet with Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland. The track, from Bon Jovi's new album, Have A Nice Day, has reached the Top 10 on the country charts.

It isn't Jon's first foray into country, wither--"Bang a Drum," his 1998 duet with the late Chris LeDoux, also hit the country charts. And another song from Have A Nice Day, "Last Man Standing," was inspired by the death of Johnny Cash. "Johnny's passing really hiot me," admits Jon, "because I'd met him a few times, and I grew up listening to his music because my mother played a lot of country music."

The affection for country music he had as a boy carried on when Jon began writing himself. "I was initially drawn to the storytelling of the songs--there was a beginning, middle, and an end to them," he explains. "It was cinematic. When we take the storytelling aspect of country music and incorporate it into our style of rock music, magic happens."

To the left of the article:

Jon's 5 Favorites

"Crazy," Patsy Cline (1961)
"Willie Nelson wrote a lyric that is as cool today as ever... and she delivered."

"He Stopped Loving Her Today," George Jones (1980)
"The punch line. It's all in the words."

"Ring of Fire," Johnny Cash (1963) "June [Carter Cash, who co-wrote the song] felt it bad for the Man in Black."

"That's All Right," Elvis Presley (1954)
"It was his first single. Elvis was country and he was rock'n' roll."

"Always on My Mind," Willie Nelson (1982) "Here's one he didn't write, but it's all in the delivery."

Old 04-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via AIM to Bongo VII Send a message via MSN to Bongo VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
Jon's 5 Favorites

"Crazy," Patsy Cline (1961)
"Willie Nelson wrote a lyric that is as cool today as ever... and she delivered."

"He Stopped Loving Her Today," George Jones (1980)
"The punch line. It's all in the words."

"Ring of Fire," Johnny Cash (1963) "June [Carter Cash, who co-wrote the song] felt it bad for the Man in Black."

"That's All Right," Elvis Presley (1954)
"It was his first single. Elvis was country and he was rock'n' roll."

"Always on My Mind," Willie Nelson (1982) "Here's one he didn't write, but it's all in the delivery."
He's got good taste. Something about describing "He Stopped Loving Her Today" as having a "punch line" is funny to me. I mean, I know what he means, but I usually associate "punch line" with funny, and that's not a funny song.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to Miracle Send a message via MSN to Miracle

Interesting read! Thanks for posting Becky. Ring of Fire is my favourite Johnny Cash song of all times.

A queen upon my barstool throne
I vow to never drink alone,
I only drink with friends or total strangers
Old 04-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Jovi Geek

Thank you Becky for posting the article.

deb
Old 04-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Price of posting

Thanks for sharing!

Sorry Jon but I hate Patsy Cline's Crazy!! It is one of my least favorite songs EVER!
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3
Old 04-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboraQueen21

Sorry Jon but I hate Patsy Cline's Crazy!! It is one of my least favorite songs EVER!
Ah... something we disagree on! LOL I think Crazy is one of the best songs ever recorded.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Price of posting

LOL~ Becky. I have heard Jon mention how he loves Crazy dozens of times but it just does nothing for me.
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3
Old 04-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via AIM to jenn1189 Send a message via MSN to jenn1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboraQueen21
LOL~ Becky. I have heard Jon mention how he loves Crazy dozens of times but it just does nothing for me.
I'm with you Lizz. Musically, I know it's a great song...I can appreciate that. But I really just don't like it.

Interesting article Becky. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
So it seemed like a no-brainer for Jon to co-write a country song, "Who Says You Can't Go Home," and record it as a duet with Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland. The track, from Bon Jovi's new album, Have A Nice Day, has reached the Top 10 on the country charts.
That part bothers me...it's only considered a country song because they recorded it with Jennifer Nettles. There's a version without her, and that's not considered a country song. Know what I mean????
Old 04-10-2006, 01:43 AM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
Ah... something we disagree on! LOL I think Crazy is one of the best songs ever recorded.
Yea, I'm with Becky on this one. LOVE this song.

deb
Old 04-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1189

That part bothers me...it's only considered a country song because they recorded it with Jennifer Nettles. There's a version without her, and that's not considered a country song. Know what I mean????
Yes, plus Jon has said that he and Richie did not sit down with the intention of writing a country song.

deb