View Single Post

Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzesiek View Post
The post 2000 BJ is deeper in that way that you can always hear something new in this songs just by putting on better earphones or playing with channel mixing/extracting. There are lot more things to get into, especially if you are a musician. There are many things to learn if you are guitarist. Much more than 80' ultra-distorted, power-chord guitar and some stupid keyboard parts. Same thing about Jon to me. Singing lower a few tones doesn't mean that he lost his ability to put emotions into this tracks.

So I'm with that guy I thing (call me crazy if you want)
I agree with you and to a point, I agree with the guy in the original post. I think the post-2000 music is better than the 1980's stuff. SWW and NJ are great albums with great songs, but a song like YGLBN, as recorded on the album, does not hold up today. It was very much of it's time and I think most people would think of it as a cheesy 80's pop-rock song. Obviously there's a lot of hardcore Bon Jovi fans who perception of the song will be influenced by their memories attached to it and their first impressions of it, but if you played that song today to an audience who never heard it, it is easily identifiable as a cheesy 80's pop song. That doesn't mean it's bad but it is what it is. I'd take a song like Bells of Freedom or Joey or Superman Tonight any day of the week over YGLBN or Let It Rock or Homebound Train, say. Those former songs have so much more depth and class, and quality songwriting.

I'm not a huge lover of 80's rock. I love Bon Jovi's 90's work and their 2000's work, but I can say for certain that their 80's albums are the one's I listen to the least. They contain epically good songs which I think work great in a live format but not on record. Case in point for me is Bad Medicine; I absolutely hate the album version but adore the song live.
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days