View Single Post

Old 05-07-2022, 05:05 PM
These Days

I've tried to compile a list of the highlights of my fandom.

- Hearing TLFR version of It's My Life in like 2007 on my way back from an amazing basketball game that my team won, while having heard the original version many years before (and liking it), this version just clicked with me it was just the perfect timing. I was already getting into classic rock at the time and it was the first sign that I should include Bon Jovi in the bands I should pay attention to.
- Hearing Dry County for the first time in 2008, when on November Rain's wikipedia page, its description compared to it epic lengthy rock ballads like Stairway To Heaven and Dry County (which I never heard before). That Richie's solo, that Jon's "Oh, down in..." before the last chorus. GOAT stuff here.
- Following The Circle Tour as a die-hard fan for the first time after joining Jovitalk in early 2010, following the setlists, watching videos. Good times.
- Seeing them for the first time in 2010, O2 night 11, hearing several rarities including the first ever public live performance of Santa Fe
- Watching YouTube clips of special performances in 2010-11 with things I never thought Jon could still do like Something To Believe In, high notes in These Days, a scream in I Believe, high notes in These Days, etc.
- Seeing them for the third time in Vienna 2011 and finally getting Always in the second encore, my favorite song ever.
- Jon visiting that sick kid (Mario) in I believe 2014 or 2015 based on his or his friends Facebook campaign, and showing up just by himself with no photographer or journalist, with nothing to promote, no agenda, etc. I already considered him done as a singer at that point, so it felt good to confirm the kind of human
- Hearing Living With The Ghost for the second time (first time I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics), especially that climax "that man was me" before the last chorus. Great songwriting reflecting very
- Seeing them for the fourth time in London 2019 and despite all Jon's vocal flaws, having a damn good time in what will likely end up my personal farewell, which included getting Always, followed by Prayer, which is a damn good last impression.
- Hearing Blood In The Water for the first time - maybe not the songwriting masterpiece, but musically definitely a throwback to the Dry County and the 90s ballad style. The fact that Jon, whom once again, I consider very much done, throwing us a bone like this, felt quite special. A true last hurrah for me as a fan.