View Single Post

Old 05-02-2022, 07:32 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
I love all 3 of those bands Daughtry, Halestorm and Alice and I couldn't tell you which songs or albums Phil played on which says it all. When any of the other guitar players I mentioned do guest spots I can spot them a mile off. But then that's what a session player is supposed to be I suppose.

I don't think that they should have gone for a Richie clone, but I think they needed to go with a player who has at least one foot in the blues...I heard that they auditioned Damon johnson from Black Star Riders, Brother Cane and I would love to have heard that!
I think it just might be a personal thing. He plays just about every guitar track on Daughtry's first album and I absolutely hear his style (he end guitar part on "Used To" really stands out). But as far as his style not standing out, that's a huge part of being a session musician. Not every artist is going to be cool with his guitar solo style but in the off chances he gets to shine, I can hear it. Born Again Tomorrow and Beautiful Drug both have that ascending lick that is very similar to each other and scream Phil.

That being said, I think his style lends itself much more to the less Bluesy-80's side of the band, falls short in the 90's and isn't needed for the 2000s. I still completely agree with Jon that Shank's style of playing is closer to Richies than Phils. Fingerprints is just something SO Richie-esque or at least draws from the same influences.