View Single Post

Old 09-24-2018, 10:25 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
Jon is not going to book arenas in the UK 6 months after he plays to over 100,000 in the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
Are you basing that 100K on the reported capacity at MCG? If so, I'm afraid you're overestimating by about half. While 100K might be the capacity for sporting events, I'm not sure you can apply that to a rock concert. Looking at the seating chart for Bon Jovi tickets, it seems that almost half of the stadium is greyed out, which I assume means "unavailable". Even considering additional seating on the field, that would still reduce seating capacity for Bon Jovi to somewhere between 50-60K, wouldn't it?

http://mccnews.mcc.org.au/_/media/fi...plan.pdf?la=en

Around 50K sounds reasonable to me, and more in line with previous MCG concerts. According to Wiki references, the record attendance for any single rock concert at MCG is a little over 50K (50, 974 for Madonna). Paul McCartney, U2, Rolling Stones, and Billy Joel/Elton John all played two consecutive nights at MCG; and the Stones are the only ones who broke 50K for a single show. Sir Paul had the highest combined attendance for both nights and that was barely over 90K.

On the Australia tour thread, Savvi estimated that approximately 70% of the tickets had been sold for Melbourne. That was close to a month ago, so it may be higher now. But even if it's a sellout, I don't see how it could possibly be expected to hit much more than 51K at best. JMO.