View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 12:59 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I think, in some ways, it's difficult to compare tours because your reaction to any one show is dependent on where you are in life. When I first saw Bon Jovi in 1989, I was barely a teenager. It was my first concert ever and it was a band that, to me, might as well have been Elvis Presley in his glory days. Everything about that show was spectacle and awe. I saw them in 1993 a couple of times. I was 2nd row at the "orange seat show" in Knoxville. That was pretty amazing from my perspective. I had the pleasure of seeing one of the Christmas shows in 1994 and that was special because it was a small venue. Fast forward a few years and I saw them in St. Louis after a long hiatus. I left convinced they were still the best band on the planet.

After a few years and more shows, my father died in 2003 and it changed my perspective of everything. I couldn't even listen to Bon Jovi for a while because I had so many memories attached to them. During that period, I discovered Keith Urban and what an amazing guitarist and entertainer he is. I went to dozens of his shows because, quite frankly, it made me happy and he was far more accessible than Bon Jovi. (In other words, he plays more than 2 cities in the Southeast. In those days Bon Jovi only ever played Atlanta and Nashville.) So while they were working on HAND, I was traveling all over seeing someone else.

After a while, I had the chance to see Bon Jovi again in Omaha in 2005, I think. I went in wondering if the would still cast a spell over me. Did they ever!!! So I was back on board with this band for the long haul.

I've seen this band in many cities, many states, various types of venues, across a 30ish year span. I've seen every tour except the WAN album because of my own health problems.

When it comes down to it, Bon Jovi has been the one constant thing in my life for a long time. There are certain truths that remain no matter how my life or the band has changed. I've never left a Bon Jovi concert unhappy. I've never had a bad time at a Bon Jovi concert. I've always found Jon to be the best frontman I've seen. Bon Jovi makes magic on stage. And I say all that to say, these truths remain in the latest tour. A Bon Jovi concert is the highlight of any year for me and whenever I leave one show, I'm ready for another one.

Bon Jovi has changed, but they remain the best in the world for me. Since I don't obsess over set lists and YouTube videos, I think I enjoy the shows even more. To me, if I'm not there, it doesn't affect me. So I enjoy what I experience and it leaves me wanting my next fix.

Final verdict: this tour was just as enjoyable to me as any other. I hope it's not the last chance I ever have to see them.