View Single Post

Old 01-15-2020, 06:23 PM
These Days

I was shocked when I saw this. My key takeaways:

- Not a wise pairing from Bon Jovi's perspective. As others noted, Adams will not upstage Bon Jovi with his show or decorations, but he absolutely will with his performance. He is in a very short list of peers who still sound amazing at his age. In some ways, his voice is even stronger now and he doesn't sound like he's pushing hard and straining to reach the same notes he did in his young days. Something Jon has never learned obviously. I can definitely see the press headlines about how Bryan Adams still got it and all Jon had was his smile and stage banter. It's one thing when you have a local or unknown support act, but another when it's someone from the same era with (I would assume) at least somewhat overlapping fanbase. I'm amazed that Jon signed up for this to be exposed like that. Especially when you consider that he had no interest in having big-name support acts for most of his career even when he was still good. But hey, congrats to Americans going to those shows, that's a good value for the price of one ticket, that's for sure!

- After the initial shock, my reaction then was "well, it must be a massive stadiums tour", but then I saw that it's all in the arenas - largely, the same arenas that Bon Jovi played on their own the last tour. I don't know how the ticket sales went (relative to the actual building capacities, and not the Billboard's misleading "sold out" figures), but on the surface, it seemed well enough for them to not need a huge support act like Adams. I don't how popular he's in the US nowadays, but in Europe, Adams is still an arena act. So combining two arena acts for an arena tour does not seem like a wise business move, given how expensive he probably is to be hired as a support act.