View Single Post

Old 01-19-2020, 12:45 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
FWIW the one about Jon stopping Richie from doing that song he was playing it too, it felt like a weird bit.

Bobby was called the human jukebox for a reason. There were some rarer songs on I THINK it was The Circle tour where Bobby was the one playing instead of Richie (Santa Fe comes to mind). I think now it's even more work having Everett, Shanks and Phil learn a new song to throw in. That and Jon's voice.
Maybe that's why that bit jumped to my mind. It did feel a little weird.

I may have misunderstood the context. I thought we were discussing fans requesting songs the band had recorded; but I guess Jon probably gets requests for his solo stuff, too; and he may have been more comfortable with Bobby on those songs, possibly bc of the KOS shows. When Jon calls him the human jukebox, though, I've always assumed that was because Bobby could play any number of songs, in general, off the top of his head. From what I understand, Richie's pretty good at doing that, too; so I don't think either of them had anything to do with Jon not taking requests or changing up the setlist.

I still think it's mostly that Jon knows he can get by without going to the trouble of rehearsing unfamiliar songs or stepping outside his comfort zone. Or, as said, it could just be that his vocals aren't up to it.

Or any combination of the above.