View Single Post

Old 01-19-2020, 11:13 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
It's not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't make you anything special either. Keith Scott is reliable but he's reliable exactly because he's only capable of playing a song the way he's recorded it and constantly does so. There's no spontanety in his solo's and if you constantly play something the same way you'll eventually lose the feel of it as well.

Your example of Touch The Hand shows this quite well. Most of the licks he does are easy and constant repeats, there's an endless list of bum notes in that solo and once he does something impressive he always follows it up with the same long note, incapable of constructing one thing to the other. His timing is just so off during his improvisations it makes it hard to listen to once you notice it. I'm not saying he's a sloppy hack but he's hardly memorable or underrated either.
Can't really add much to what I've already said. I've always enjoyed his playing and that's enough for me. I've never really been into technically accurate players, as most seem to lack the relevant emotion and feeling in their playing. Phil X playing Richie's stuff is a prime example of that. I'd much rather hear Richie doing it and hitting the occasional bum note, because it feels like he really means it....

Last edited by Thinny; 01-19-2020 at 11:21 AM..