View Single Post

Old 02-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post
I don't buy the excuses about not changing the set lists. These are professional musicians who know the material very well. At the very least, they should be switching around the THINFS songs, they've played the whole album at least 4 times.

That new years day mistake that was linked was pretty small and at least Jon has mellowed to let the odd mistake slide these days, probably knowing how bad he sounds.

As has been said by many, these filler songs have been doing the rounds for a decade. Wgigo, follow, lost highway. The excuses are lame, are people seriously saying that in this bands vast catalogue they couldn't replace these songs? "Oh but Wgigo lets him wave to the fans with seats behind him" So what? He could do one wild night and do the same thing. Swap out lost highway for I'd die for you, follow for Runaway, then even if the set list stayed that way for the next few months it's something slightly different.

Ignoring the new songs, if you asked a casual concert goer to make a bon Jovi set list, most of those songs would not be anywhere near it.
True, but then you'd have more hits/classic songs and it would look more like a nostalgia band/concert. They always brag about how It's My Life and other songs/albums brought a whole new generation of fans to the band. I'd guess that's got something to do with it, as well - play some songs the newer fans could relate to (from Crush onwards, i.e. from the 2000s).

That wouldn't rule out One Wild Night or Love's The Only Rule or something like that, yes. But just imagine for a second that if Jon thinks highly of a song, or reckons that fans do, then why give it to the audience at show A and not play it at show B? Maybe he just doesn't want to disappoint "us". Or it's just his "two for you, one for me" thing, which is totally fine with me.

Don't get me wrong - I love I'd Die For You, Runaway, and so on. But I also f*cking love the talkbox solo in WGIGO, probably more than OWN. Tastes are different. Hell, I like WWBTF, even ILTT and CC, and totally love songs like The More Things Change. And I'm not a casual, new fan, or from the States

Also, while great for us die-hards, the 3-4 song acoustic set they used to do in the middle far more drags the casual audience down than mid-tempo songs like LH, like they're doing now...