Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Jon doing Prayer live Jersey4Jersey

Tour Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-27-2020, 02:19 AM
TheseDaysEra's Avatar
TheseDaysEra TheseDaysEra is offline
Senior Member
Blame it on the love of posting
 
Join Date: 21 Dec 2007
Posts: 1,219
Default Jon doing Prayer live Jersey4Jersey

No one started a thread about it - ok it was only one song but it's the closest you'll have to a 'tour' anytime soon.

Really, how good was that ? To me that IS the direction. Jon shouldn't be doing those full on massive electric tours - he clearly can't handle it, vocal-wise. He is, however, able to deliver very emotional performances when playing lo-key like this.

Tours should be short and should focus more on stripped down versions where Jon can actually still shine and deliver. Just my two cents.
__________________
Tonight you've got the right to let your hair down

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 04-27-2020, 08:02 AM
Supersonic's Avatar
Supersonic Supersonic is offline
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead
 
Join Date: 03 Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Gender: male
Posts: 15,867
Send a message via MSN to Supersonic
Default

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
Really, how good was that ?
Not very good.

Jon would never, ever be able to do a full show like this. His voice is toast near the end of the song. And "a massive electric tour" is a lot, lot more easier on his vocals than shows with stripped back, acoustic arrangements. He can't hide behind anything. No backing singers, no loud PA, no poor acoustics... Even if people would actually be willing to hear a full show like this, which they won't, Jon would sound horrible, surely these Runaway concerts have proved that by now.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2020, 10:17 AM
musiccritic101's Avatar
musiccritic101 musiccritic101 is offline
Junior Member
Undiscovered Posts
 
Join Date: 10 Jan 2020
Location: New Zealand
Gender: male
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
Really, how good was that
Jon's performance wasn't that bad,vocalwise it's a slight improvement over some of the Prayer 94 performances during the Runaway Tours. His voice sounded a bit fuller and clearer because he wasn't cupping the microphone like he usually does during concerts.

His mid range does seem to be slowly returning,he wasn't shout singing as much like last years Runaway Tour performance of Prayer 94. Jon is midly improving,but only time will tell if he'll improve more. With the 2020 tour canned Jon can have a long break and rest his voice and if he is still working with a vocal coach he can keep working on his voice until all this Co-vid 19 stuff calms down and the band can finally get back on the road.

Last edited by musiccritic101; 04-27-2020 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Walleris's Avatar
Walleris Walleris is offline
Senior Member
These Days
 
Join Date: 13 Feb 2010
Location: London, UK (originally from Lithuania)
Age: 26
Gender: male
Posts: 2,635
Default

It still sounded bad. Being 5% better than a previous crappy performance still results in crap.

I'd still be just as embarrassed to show this performance to my family and friends (who all know me as a Bon Jovi fan) as I would with any other performance of him since 2014. To your average Joe who's not used to being tortured with bad singing as this board has been for the past 6 years, this counts as crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccritic101 View Post
Jon's performance wasn't that bad,vocalwise it's a slight improvement over some of the Prayer 94 performances during the Runaway Tours. His voice sounded a bit fuller and clearer because he wasn't cupping the microphone like he usually does during concerts.

His mid range does seem to be slowly returning,he wasn't shout singing as much like last years Runaway Tour performance of Prayer 94. Jon is midly improving,but only time will tell if he'll improve more. With the 2020 tour canned Jon can have a long break and rest his voice and if he is still working with a vocal coach he can keep working on his voice until all this Co-vid 19 stuff calms down and the band can finally get back on the road.
He had a lot of time off after the BWC tour to rest his voice and get it back in shape with a vocal coach. How did that go for him? Unfortunately, as Seb said, he is toast. His instrument is broken for good. Anyone trying to find improvements where they're not really there is living in a mild form of denial. These people will point out a moment in a song where for a couple of seconds he sounds OK or where there is a note hits that he didn't hit a year ago. That's not improvement, that's just being rested and able to go at 120% for a moment, potentially after multiple takes. Which by the way is still worse than his 120% in 2017, the same way that Jon's 120% in 3-5 years will be worse than him today.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2020, 02:18 PM
BJFan99 BJFan99 is offline
Senior Member
Jovi FANatic
 
Join Date: 11 Apr 2016
Location: Finland
Gender: male
Posts: 1,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
It still sounded bad. Being 5% better than a previous crappy performance still results in crap.

I'd still be just as embarrassed to show this performance to my family and friends (who all know me as a Bon Jovi fan) as I would with any other performance of him since 2014. To your average Joe who's not used to being tortured with bad singing as this board has been for the past 6 years, this counts as crap.



He had a lot of time off after the BWC tour to rest his voice and get it back in shape with a vocal coach. How did that go for him? Unfortunately, as Seb said, he is toast. His instrument is broken for good. Anyone trying to find improvements where they're not really there is living in a mild form of denial. These people will point out a moment in a song where for a couple of seconds he sounds OK or where there is a note hits that he didn't hit a year ago. That's not improvement, that's just being rested and able to go at 120% for a moment, potentially after multiple takes. Which by the way is still worse than his 120% in 2017, the same way that Jon's 120% in 3-5 years will be worse than him today.
I've been wondering about this for a long time - is vocal chord damage automatically unrepairable? If he has pulmonary/respiratory issues caused by smoking, then of course improvement of any kind is out of question, but if it's "only" his chords that are wrecked, why don't they recover? Are they damaged so severely that there's absolutely no way he'll ever be able to regain even a bit of their former functionality?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2020, 03:31 PM
Nige's Avatar
Nige Nige is offline
Senior Member
Dry County
 
Join Date: 30 Aug 2002
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Gender: male
Posts: 1,856
Send a message via MSN to Nige
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
I've been wondering about this for a long time - is vocal chord damage automatically unrepairable? If he has pulmonary/respiratory issues caused by smoking, then of course improvement of any kind is out of question, but if it's "only" his chords that are wrecked, why don't they recover? Are they damaged so severely that there's absolutely no way he'll ever be able to regain even a bit of their former functionality?
There's no straight answer to that tbh. There are surgery options available for singers with damaged vocal chords but the success rate is not great, and it can actually make matters worse. It's quite possible Jon has had such surgery already and that might explain the rapid decline in 2017.

That said, stopping smoking would almost certainly help with the breathlessness and would probably prevent his voice deteriorating much more.

With all his wealth I can not believe that Jon has looked at every option available to him. It must be heartbreaking for him to sound how he sounds.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2020, 03:53 PM
bonjovi90's Avatar
bonjovi90 bonjovi90 is offline
Senior Member
Price of posting
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 5,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
There's no straight answer to that tbh. There are surgery options available for singers with damaged vocal chords but the success rate is not great, and it can actually make matters worse. It's quite possible Jon has had such surgery already and that might explain the rapid decline in 2017.

That said, stopping smoking would almost certainly help with the breathlessness and would probably prevent his voice deteriorating much more.

With all his wealth I can not believe that Jon has looked at every option available to him. It must be heartbreaking for him to sound how he sounds.
Exactly, you can't give a universal answer to that, it's so much down to the individual state the vocal chords are in. In Jon's case, I think they're gone for good. He probably had vocal surgery at some point, since his clipping and hoarse tone set it somewhere in 2017 and Paul Stanley had the same change in voice after having admitted that he was undergoing surgery to "fix minor issues".

I do believe that Jon's now looked at every option available, but at the same time it's pretty much him who is to blame for sounding so bad. At the latest point, after the SWW tour, he should've realized that his instrument is quite fragile and that it needs to be taken special care of. Yet, from the mid#90's onwards, he's treated it like shit. Smoking like a maniac at times, never learning to sustain a proper technique etc.
If you keep rambling about legacy, a career, longevity and don't make sure that you're voice is treated well, it's stupid...
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2020, 03:07 PM
thesedays2014 thesedays2014 is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Fan
 
Join Date: 28 Feb 2014
Gender: male
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
No one started a thread about it - ok it was only one song but it's the closest you'll have to a 'tour' anytime soon.

Really, how good was that ? To me that IS the direction. Jon shouldn't be doing those full on massive electric tours - he clearly can't handle it, vocal-wise. He is, however, able to deliver very emotional performances when playing lo-key like this.

Tours should be short and should focus more on stripped down versions where Jon can actually still shine and deliver. Just my two cents.
Totally agree, not many others do though.

Stripped down acoustic, adapting songs and vocals...classics in a TLFR style and new songs Stand Up Guy or Do what you can style 👏🏾👏🏾

Lot better than trying to bear Bad Medicine and more than half the set without yelling ‘Please God, stop’
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2020, 05:54 PM
JoviForever's Avatar
JoviForever JoviForever is offline
Senior Member
Posting Always
 
Join Date: 29 Jul 2002
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 2,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Exactly, you can't give a universal answer to that, it's so much down to the individual state the vocal chords are in. In Jon's case, I think they're gone for good. He probably had vocal surgery at some point, since his clipping and hoarse tone set it somewhere in 2017 and Paul Stanley had the same change in voice after having admitted that he was undergoing surgery to "fix minor issues".

I do believe that Jon's now looked at every option available, but at the same time it's pretty much him who is to blame for sounding so bad. At the latest point, after the SWW tour, he should've realized that his instrument is quite fragile and that it needs to be taken special care of. Yet, from the mid#90's onwards, he's treated it like shit. Smoking like a maniac at times, never learning to sustain a proper technique etc.
If you keep rambling about legacy, a career, longevity and don't make sure that you're voice is treated well, it's stupid...
How do you know he smoked like a maniac? I know there was a period where a lot of publicity shots had him posing with a cig but that covered a relatively short period of time.

I personally think he’s in denial about his voice when you listen to some of his interviews. I also think the people around him are not honest with him about how he sounds.😒
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2020, 06:09 PM
Nige's Avatar
Nige Nige is offline
Senior Member
Dry County
 
Join Date: 30 Aug 2002
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Gender: male
Posts: 1,856
Send a message via MSN to Nige
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviForever View Post
I personally think he’s in denial about his voice when you listen to some of his interviews. I also think the people around him are not honest with him about how he sounds.😒
I doubt he is any denial about how he sounds privately, but he's not going to on tv or radio and say how shot his voice is - he has albums and tours to sell.

As for the people around him - what benefit would it be for them to even bring it up, unless it's the elephant in the room and hasn't ever been addressed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.