View Single Post

Old 04-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
It still sounded bad. Being 5% better than a previous crappy performance still results in crap.

I'd still be just as embarrassed to show this performance to my family and friends (who all know me as a Bon Jovi fan) as I would with any other performance of him since 2014. To your average Joe who's not used to being tortured with bad singing as this board has been for the past 6 years, this counts as crap.

He had a lot of time off after the BWC tour to rest his voice and get it back in shape with a vocal coach. How did that go for him? Unfortunately, as Seb said, he is toast. His instrument is broken for good. Anyone trying to find improvements where they're not really there is living in a mild form of denial. These people will point out a moment in a song where for a couple of seconds he sounds OK or where there is a note hits that he didn't hit a year ago. That's not improvement, that's just being rested and able to go at 120% for a moment, potentially after multiple takes. Which by the way is still worse than his 120% in 2017, the same way that Jon's 120% in 3-5 years will be worse than him today.
I've been wondering about this for a long time - is vocal chord damage automatically unrepairable? If he has pulmonary/respiratory issues caused by smoking, then of course improvement of any kind is out of question, but if it's "only" his chords that are wrecked, why don't they recover? Are they damaged so severely that there's absolutely no way he'll ever be able to regain even a bit of their former functionality?