View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
Also, probably the last good version of Always was done in Cleveland on March 9, 2013. There still were a couple OK-ish renditions of the song to come, like the ones from St. Paul, Dallas and Omaha (April '13), but after those, that was it and Jon's vocals on the song became truly cringeworthy.

Just compare this...

https://youtu.be/7119w1jD_mU

...to this:

https://youtu.be/14wUqsEQX4s

Isn't it sad? And, to top it all, all this happened in EIGHT months! F**k...

PS. It makes me a bit confused when seeing comments like on the Toronto '13 video: "Fail... (about Jon going off-key on the chorus)" which someone gives the following response: "What can you do with (sic) your age now? Jon's still singing good...".

When will certain people understand that a guy in his early to mid-fifties is NOT old by any means? All it takes from Jon to get his pipes back to shape is him stopping smoking and go under some kind of vocal coaching. The way he's gripping the mic stand and wincing to hit the notes (while still being unable to do so) just makes me want to vomit. And he's NOT sounding good at all - actually, I think the Toronto version of Always is the worst performance I've ever heard to be done of the song by anyone, be it Jon or anyone else. The last chorus about makes me cry - it makes the Brisbane '13 version sound like the best performance Jon has ever delivered of any song. Bloody hell, I miss 2010-11...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Jon will give Always a try tonight. Somebody, quickly get me some band-aid to stop the bleeding of my ears...
Actually, those two performances are both equally (as) bad (I've stopped listening after the first chorus though, I have to admit)...

On the Cleveland one you can really hear the strain it's putting on his vocal chords (the "rasp" or whatever you want to call it). Nowadays, everyone says he's just shouting out the words and how that's not healthy for his voice. Well, here you have the first indication of it. And it's actually worse than today in parts.

So it seems to me that part of his vocal decline is due to not accepting the fact his voice was getting deeper in 2013 and still hanging in there, using every possible (non-)technique he could think of, and thereby doing (even more) damage to it.

BTW, it's not confirmed that he still smokes, and he's had vocal coaching throughout the years, so that's most likely not it.