View Single Post

Old 08-05-2019, 07:31 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Unfortunately I think the fall in the classic Jagger/Richards, Tyler/Perry type singer/guitarist relationship. There has certainly been tension between them over the years, especially since the early 90s. The difference in Mick and Keith and Steven and Joe is that they can put their difference aside and still play together. The fact that Jon and Richie can't, says to me that it runs deeper...
I don't think it has much to do with that. The examples you mention both have different reasons as to why they're still going. Joe Perry once left and only came back to Aerosmith when both Aerosmith's and Joe Perry's career had completely dried up after years and years of drug abuse. Their only option was to sober up as anything else had failed. And as for the Stones; They were offered a large amount of cash to do a proper "We've set aside our differences and cleaned up our act" tour in the late eighties. Once they realized the amounts of money they could make just by touring and releasing the odd record priorities shifted.

Another thing that separates Jon from Mick Jagger is an artistic vision and artistic integrity though. Mick Jagger understands he needs Keith to get that thing going. He understands the dynamics between them are the way they are and work for the Stones, whether he likes that aspect or not. He's capable of seeing the bigger picture and really always has. Both when it comes to incorporating other music styles in the Stones sound and the live performances. Unlike Jon, Mick's got standards and is very protective of what he feels the Stones should be like. If it's not Stones-like, it doesn't get released under the Stones name, hence the several solo projects done by Mick Jagger.

I think Jon's very much convinced he doesn't need Richie anymore because either he or Richie (or a combination of both) made Richie irrelevant to the big picture a long time ago. Jon sold out 20 years ago and every bit of artistic integrity has been long gone. A real artist wouldn't tour with that voice he's got left nowadays. So if the venues are still packed and the millions keep coming in why bother making sure you've got to split the loot again with someone who you think didn't contribute enough anyway?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan