Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

David Bryan PODCAST (Dean Delray)

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Jovi FANatic

Am I the only one who thinks the interviewer was annoying? 'Wow...SOGREAT.'...everything was GREAT blabla...

Nice interview and surprisingly long as well. Everybody in this band is kind of overqualified to only play rock music.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:53 PM
Jovi Freak

To me, the interviewer sounded just like a relaxed guy.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:31 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
To me, the interviewer sounded just like a relaxed guy.
Maybe I am not American enough
Old 11-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Keep the Faith

Fascinating interview. David sounded enthused and liberated. And surely people can now stop speculating what happened with Richie...

Old 12-01-2018, 06:41 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by † ÀžžÀ † View Post
... And surely people can now stop speculating what happened with Richie...
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Surely you jest!!

I'm a little late to the party, but I agree that this was a fantastic interview; and I thoroughly enjoyed it. David is a funny, funny guy and it seemed more like he and Delray were having a relaxed conversation than conducting an interview. Like faith1985, I think Delray's enthusiasm was a little over the top at times; but I can forgive him for that because I was so impressed by the fact that he not only asked good questions, but he was also knowledgeable enough to hold his own in discussing about any subject that David brought up: keyboards, comedy, songwriting, NJ, corporate events, early touring, etc.

Some of this may be old news to some of you, but these are just some of the things that I found interesting:
  • When they filmed YGLABN there were only about 40 BJ fans at the shoot so they were all crowded around the stage, but Isham used film of a Pink Floyd audience for the long shots.
  • I knew Tico wore the batting helmet for protection at one of the early shows; but I don't think I knew it was to protect stitches that he had to get after being hit by field binoculars someone threw at the band during the previous show
  • Doc conned promoters into providing private planes for BJ while they were still a support act
  • David rivals Someone Who Shall Remain Nameless when it comes to exaggeration, claiming credit, and mocking sacrosanct songs. For example:
    • they apparently toured 80 countries on the SWW tour (I counted 18.)
    • he came up with the intro to Runaway (I thought it was Roy Bittan, but Mr. Google says it was Matt Seely - who also sang backup on the recording)
    • they were hated by the fans of some of the groups they opened for because they were like (sings in a high-pitched voice) "Oooh, she's a little runaway"
  • David is perfectly comfortable talking on the phone while he’s driving 140 mph in his Porsche (1st gear "Speed limit!", 2nd gear "DOUBLE Speed limit", "185 and it still hadn't redlined... ")
  • Jon didn’t just think LOAP should have been left off SWW; he disliked it so much that he left the building while David and The Artist Formerly Known as Bon Jovi’s Lead Guitarist recorded the demo, proving that it IS possible to co-write and even record song(s) you don't like. Who woulda thunk?
  • One of David’s major musical influences was The Cars, which made me wonder what he thought about being inducted to the RRHOF alongside them
  • His classical training led him to "marry the emotion (words) of their songs to what the soundscape is" (e.g. the sound of wind at the beginning of WDOA) and that’s what he “brings to the table”.
  • It was David's idea to get Sam Kennison to do the Bad Medicine video
  • Colton works for LiveNation
  • He confirmed that Sabo was not the original guitarist in BJ; he was a "place-holder".
  • It wasn't Jon who discovered Cinderella, it was Alec.
  • David's piano teacher was the director of the NBC Radio Orchestra for 16 years before he retired to Perth Amboy; and rather than discourage listening to pop music, he taught David composition theory by analyzing how songs, from groups like The Beatles and the Stones, were written.
  • In writing the songs for his upcoming musical, Diana, David gave a different musical "voice" to Diana (80s pop rock) Charles and the Queen (classical, but contemporary), Camilla (lite FM), and the paparazzi (heavy punk guitars); and there's one song where they all come together at the same time. (I really need to see this musical!)
  • He received the script for Memphis at noon, read through it, and wrote "Music of My Soul", then recorded all the voices, the drums, bass, piano, and organ, burned it to a CD, and had it shipped by FedEx less than 6-1/2 hours after he received the script, so that it arrived on DiPietro's doorstep by the next morning.
  • Among his collection of 100 vintage keyboards, David owns the Baldwin harpsichord that The Beatles used in Strawberry Fields Forever.
  • David apparently sang all of the background vocals for the THINFS album
Funny quotes:
  • (About Jon quitting his own cover band to write and perform original songs): Jon actually quit [ACE], his own band, and I went, "Wait a minute! If you're the lead singer, and it's your band, and you quit, aren't we all fired?" I was like, "Thank you for the soft landing; but we're ****ed!"
  • (About touring the first 4 albums): I left my house in '84 and came back in '90. I think I slept 15 minutes - not in a row.
  • (About a 7-yo. David meeting his new piano teacher and being told to learn the C-scale, with both hands and proper fingering, before his next lesson or not come back): I kinda just learned how to take a pee on my own without getting it all over my leg. I’m tryin’. I'll try like a mother****er but that's all I can do.
This was an awesome interview. I seriously can't believe more people haven't commented on some of the things David said (besides the comments related to Richie's departure). I also think it's amusing that in a podcast that lasted an hour and 45 minutes, apparently all RDK found interesting enough to mention were 3 comments that David made about Richie. (And this, less than 24 hours after he explained to the Captain that the reason we needed a separate thread to discuss Richie's proposed album was so people wouldn't have to sift through 32 pages of Jackie's obsession?? Right. Whatever...)

With that in mind, all I will say in response to your comment and RDK’s Richie-centric post, is that in the podcast, David didn’t even mention that Richie didn’t show up in Calgary, much less say that “his drug addictions” was the reason why. I'll take any other comments I have about that subject to the "Richie Sambora!!!" thread, which is where I understood our favorite moderator-wannabe thought such comments belonged. But perhaps I was mistaken, since that clearly doesn't apply to his obsession with the subject.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:52 AM
Jovi Freak

I personally thought the most important parts of the podcast were about Richie hihih: https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...ml#post1246959

but in case there are superfans of Dave here...: https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...ml#post1247440
Old 12-01-2018, 01:35 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
I personally thought the most important parts of the podcast were about Richie hihih: https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...ml#post1246959...
I'd probably agree if David had said anything new; but he didn't... SS/DD.

EDIT to correct: David didn't say anything new that would explain why Richie didn't show up in Calgary. He did talk about some of the things he did to "fill in the gap left by Richie". But that just further emphasizes the incongruity between Jon's statement that David "filled in the gap" and his later efforts to downplay Richie's contributions over the last 3 or 4 records prior to BB, which is what raised the question for me in the first place.

Last edited by JackieBlue; 12-01-2018 at 07:41 PM..
Old 12-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I'd probably agree if David had said anything new; but he didn't... SS/DD.

but that would take you back to the Rdkopper's post you were talking about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Notice he said Richie was in rehab THREE times. We know about the times during LH and GHs but when was the third?

He also answers the question people ask when Jon says that "Dave really stepped up and filled that void Richie left behind"

Dave's final words in the interview:
"I wish Richie the best and I hope he finds the light"

talk to him! good luck! >_< lol
Old 12-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
With that in mind, all I will say in response to your comment and RDK’s Richie-centric post, is that in the podcast, David didn’t even mention that Richie didn’t show up in Calgary, much less say that “his drug addictions” was the reason why.
"You think he'll ever be back?"

"Strange thing about addiction is it doesn't cure itself. It's that tough love thing."

"Is he still partying?"

"Addicts don't get better on their own."

If you can't put this together and figure it out then I truly hope you're never called for jury duty.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:25 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
...If you can't put this together and figure it out then I truly hope you're never called for jury duty.
You must have missed the part where I said, 'I'll take any other comments I have about that subject to the "Richie Sambora!!!" thread.' But since you seem to like following bread crumbs, here's a link to my response.

https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...ml#post1248509