View Single Post

Old 05-24-2018, 04:28 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Setlists will always cause an argument within fans.

Whats a rare gem to you is a piss break for a casual.

Def Leppards Joe Elliot was on Eddie Trunk this week - they are touring US soon and he said lets be honest - no one wants to hear me say - and tonight theres 5 new songs and 2 b-sides in the set list.
The few hundred diehards would love the b-sides and 90% of the crowd dont want new songs.
He added that you have to remember - the first 5 rows are people who have bought everything youve ever done on every format but the further back you go those people just want the 1 to 3 songs they have loved all their life.

He finished with the Rolling Stones play all their hits live and after the show or between shows (used to) play fan club gigs in small venues doing nothing but rare tracks and b-sides for die hards.

You have to remember the casuals are who sell out shows nowadays - those few 1000 who just want Livin on a Prayer or faith. They dont want Dry County or Wild is the wind - they have never heard it - maybe once.

The casuals are likely to see you every tour even though they only own 1 album - its them the band will make their money out of.

So I get the "shit" set lists as they arent aimed at the die hard but I do think theres better songs to be played than stuff like Amen etc.
You summed it up perfectly. In North America those songs bring the vibe down and people take their breaks. It may be different in Europe, Japan etc. But if they're going to insist on playing the same non singles from tour to tour and not swap them out with other album cuts I have no desire to be there.