View Single Post

Old 05-03-2022, 09:07 PM
Posting everyday

Unfortunately, I very much gotta agree with Eduardo.

Yeah, there was some "moments" like some ad-libs or him going through the crowd that had glimpses of his past glory, but for one of them you have five others songs around that are poorly performed.

If this tour has shown one thing, it's that the last two streaming concerts were made bearable due to an incredible amount of post-production and that Jon simply can't do live shows at this scale anymore.

In 2015, despite the poor vocals, I felt I may get on board with it due to the duo Phil X / Matt O'Ree having had some chemistry and complementary playing. Ever since Shanks joined the live line-up, it's musically bland boring for most of it since they rarely find the heart of the songs anymore.

Everyone had different reasons why they became a fan of the band. For me, it was that Jon could elevate songs to another level live, that he was able to capture a crowd of any size they faced, that his and Richie's vocals mixed beautifully with each other and that Richie's playing gave songs that certain spark. Well, absolutely none of this is there anymore.
If people are happy with spending a few hundred bucks and needing to get drunk to get on board and have a good time, then that's great for them. But I personally can't and don't want to justify spending that amount of money for a setlist where half of the songs are tracks that don't do anything for me and the other half are hits that I had heard a dozen times before (and done ten times better).

When it came around that they were downtuning the material, adding an acoustic set and starting to bring some odd cuts back into it, I was having hopes for a moment. But since it reverted back to the same old water withing 5 or 6 shows, I had gotten the feeling that Jon had kind of given up on all of this as well.

I'm all for them still doing music in one way or the other, but as a live act, I think they're just done.