View Single Post

Old 05-07-2022, 03:45 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Positives:

I enjoyed the shows I went to. All sorts of reasons can be suggested as to why this was, but ultimately I found that in the moment, the gigs were great fun.

The clips I saw from the Nashville gig (posted on the thread on this forum) suggested to me that Jon still can pull it out of the bag. It could be that the tour was over and the shackles were off so he felt more relaxed, or that he felt he had something to prove and wanted to go out with a bang. Whether he would have been able to pull that off several nights in a row is another question.

Jon on the harmonica. I don't think I've seen that live before and I am so glad I had the opportunity.

Negatives:

Jon's well-documented struggles. Seeing an aged rocker unable to hold a tune like they used to be able to is one thing, seeing them struggle, in pain and frustrated on stage is quite another. By contrast, I saw Blondie at the London O2 Arena last week. I would say that Debbie Harry can hold a tune even less than Jon can (she is almost 77!) but she coped better than Jon did. There's of course quite a difference between Blondie and Bon Jovi songs.

The lack of variation on the setlist, especially after we were told there were going to be 'deep cuts' and they apparently rehearsed 20+ songs that didn't get played. I would have loved to have seen Joey, a real favourite of mine!

The cutting of the acoustic set. It was was a good addition for all sorts of reasons and I'm glad I was in Greenville for its final airing.