View Single Post

Old 09-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
On one hand, I absolutely agree. If he's not able to give his all, he shouldn't be giving a half-assed performance. If you ask me, they shouldn't tour without Richie for a myriad of reasons, and if they must, Jon should stay away from performing with the band until he can front it again the way he always has, and the way the fans (and the band's legacy) deserve. But the band still has a following, a #1 album, a successful tour so far and the average fan enjoys the average show with all the hits and the butt-shaking, million-dollar smile flashing.

It's a tricky situation. Why would they stop making music if they have something to say? And making an album means touring it. Of course, nobody is forcing them to do it, they don't need the money, Jon considers performing live his least favourite part and so on, but I guess Dave, Tico and Hugh have a saying too and I imagine they were feeling the itch after a long time away from the stage (for BJ standards). And the timing probably was right with Dave's new musical which I believe is in the process of being picked up. If they waited too long it could turn into their longest hiatus and Jon is obviously afraid that nobody will care about them if they stop churning out new music and touring almost every year.

So you don't agree that all the standing on the spot checking the prompter could be a mental thing? Are *you* implying he's senile? Just kidding
It's very strange, whatever the reason. The guy runs so he should be able to move around and breathe with relative ease. It's not going to kill him to grab the mic and walk around. Being static hasn't improved his vocal performance. So it has to be something else, and a mental block makes sense. What you said makes sense too, but maybe he can't "lose himself" in the performance to block the insecurities or maybe he can and the high is enough to balance out those negative moments, who knows. But it's sad to see Jon reduced to this and no matter how critical I am and how little I care about their live performances in 2017, I don't want my favorite band to have such a fast huge decline
Spot on - my thoughts are exactly the same, but I wouldn't have been able to it put it into words even close to the way (or level) you did.