View Single Post

Old 04-06-2022, 06:52 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro cuts View Post
So maybe they could have met that demand by releasing live albums, box sets etc and kept touring while they were still in shape. I would take it over crush, have a nice day or lost highway. I agree it overworked the band but you should be realistic and true to yourself as a songwriter or an artist. There should be a balance, at least that's how I see it.
Completely agree. I think that rhetoric went out the window after Crush. They were always on to the next thing when the last thing didn't sell well. There's a very candid quote from Richie around the promo of The Circle where he was asked what was next and he alluded to the greatest hits being next if the album doesn't sell what they think it will. Like when you break it down:

2000: Crush
2001: Live Album
2002: Bounce
2003: This Left Feels Right
2004: Box Set
2005: Have a Nice Day
2006: I don't believe had anything since HAND was towards the end of the year
2007: Lost Highway
2009: The Circle
2010: Greatest Hits

That's FIVE studio albums in ten years, each with their own year, year and half tour with high ticket costs and similar setlists. After 2005 there wasn't as much radio success either so the demand for new material I don't think was that high. The 90's era had TWO albums. That's a big ol difference.