View Single Post

Old 07-12-2019, 03:49 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaJovi View Post
... I want to read some real singers / voice coaches opinion on this debacle. Is there a way back or this is it for our frontman's voice?
I think this article may have been posted here a while back but I'm not sure. https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...g-their-voices

I don't sing professionally; but I studied voice for a number of years. Although Brilla and Paglin's theory is somewhat controversial, it makes sense to me; and it seems to have had some success. The thing is, it would require an overhaul in Jon's technique and probably a lengthy sabbatical for rest, repair, and retraining; and I'm just not sure Jon's wired for that.

Quote:
... For more than a decade, [Brilla and Paglin] have been pushing for a revolution in the way that almost every modern performer has been taught to use their voice. After years of painstaking research in musical archives, early scientific journals and the classroom, Brilla and Paglin say they can deliver what medical science has failed to: a permanent fix for vocal burnout...

... The rise in vocal injuries is linked to a change in what we consider good singing. Across all genres, it has become normal to believe that louder is better. (One reason that Adele is such a big star is because her voice is so big.) As a result, singers are pushing their cords like never before, which leads to vocal breakdown...

...Brilla and Paglin have been saying this for years. “You cannot solve the problem by simply relieving the symptom,” Brilla said. “It’s a motor problem. The singer has to understand it’s the way you’re running your engine” – the techniques they’re using to sing. “If you don’t fix the engine, it’s going to happen again.”...

... Brilla and Paglin say they can restore most vocal cord problems naturally, via exercises that “massage out” the defect over time. They aim to stimulate the cords precisely where they aren’t coming together properly, and to break students out of the bad habits that cause problems in the first place: taking big gulps of air, tensing the throat and jaw muscles, forcing the mouth to open to exaggerated proportions, and the urge to scream out the high notes.

... The veteran Italian stage actor Moni Ovadia was one of their earliest big-name success stories. Throughout his mid-40s, he performed up to 250 shows a year, in Europe and the US, but by 48 he was ready to quit showbusiness. His voice had become flat and raspy, and he found it physically painful to perform. He credits Paglin and Brilla with restoring his voice and his career. “They saved my life,” he told me. Today, at 71, he is a bull on stage, and can perform non-stop for up to three hours.