View Single Post

Old 07-31-2019, 06:00 PM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayer_84 View Post
I went to the Bucharest show with as open a mind as possible because it was the only way for me to enjoy it despite all its flaws. Also, I had been aware of Jon's problematic vocals which started in mid-2013 and have since been going from bad to worse. What I failed to ascertain on site, however, was that in Bucharest Jon sounded at his worst compared to the entire European leg so far. That I understood later!
I kinda began to realize that when he dropped Bed of Roses ( I was 100% sure we were getting that song because they did play Amen and they always pair it with Roses) and then opened the encore with Prayer instead of I'll Be There For You. We were in for a Werchter 2 scenario, which is why the unplanned addition of Die For You and Twist & Shout after Prayer gave me a quantum of solace so to say. Although the second encore was a pleasant surprise for me (in spite of Jon's atrocious vocal delivery), I was taken aback by Jon's behavior throughout the night. He did not seem to be enjoying being there and barely addressed the crowd. When he did, he sounded anything but excited. Now I see that he did not treat the Klagenfurt audience the same way (and that circumstance has changed my initial mindset about the concert I attended). Just the opposite, in fact. What is more, his voice, or whatever is left of it, ranged from a tad better to surprisingly better in Klagenfurt as compared to Bucharest and I have no idea what happened between the two shows to justify his atrocious delivery on July 21. That is why, now I am the one who is pissed off. I am sick and tired of his mood changes, double standards, and unpredictable selective attitude towards the different crowds.
I hope that makes more sense now.
I think - for Jon - it is hard to stay excited and positive if you feel that you're absolutely not delivering vocal wise. Let's say that even he himself will have been in a situation he did not want to be in when being on that stage.

Should the band have toured in his condition? That's the 1 million dollar question.

I feel Jon was in a very good mood and showed enthusiasm during the whole tour but I guess the second part of the short tour was a tough cookie for Jon.
Do I have an explaination why his voice got even worse for the last shows? Nope I haven't. The tour schedule was the least intense scheme that I've ever seen for any touring band. There was a holiday of 10 days right in the middle of the shows. There can't have been any form of exhaustion.

We all know Jon's vocal problem is a big mystery and it's like as if his vocal abilities can vary on a daily base and making it completely unpredictable to know what state it is in the minute he walks on stage. I'm affraid Jon himself is very uncertain about his ability the moment he walks on stage. That's why he probably makes a setlist that contains BOR and has to pull it out on the spot.

Jon's condition makes me think of a car running low on fuel at the start of every show. It's like he has to make an estimation after every song on how long he will be able to keep his engine running before stranding.

I wasn't in Bucharest but I was in Werchter and clearly he was like a broken car trying to make it to the finish line relying on all the tricks and support he could find to make it to the end.