Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Official July 5 Olympiastadion, Munich, Germany Thread

Tour Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Dry County

On a side note: dunno if it's been posted yet, but that These Days was awesome (by today's standards):
EDIT: and it's a bitch to sing, believe me, I've tried and I could sing almost everything the entire concert, but that chorus is a bitch!

Last edited by jovifan93; 07-08-2019 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Jovi FANatic

You consider this good:

?
Old 07-08-2019, 03:12 PM
Posting everyday

A few, more detailed, thoughts and impressions from my side. Let’s start with: anybody who was there, really loved it and doesn’t like that mood to be destroyed, don’t necessarily keep reading it.
Well, 2 days before the show something like the “old anticipation” came up and I was eagerly awaiting that day. We took off in the morning and after an odyssey of traffic jams and overcrowded train stations in the sweltering heat of Munich, we finally made it to the Olympic Park. It’s gotta be said that, at the same time, Elton John was playing to a sold out crowd in the Olympic Hall right next to it and there was the big “Tollwood” festival in the park with James Morrison playing, so over 100,000 people were trying to get there.
Def Leppard started at 6:30 precisely as we were making our way into the stadium. They were good, probably one of the best opening acts Bon Jovi have had here in quite a while, but their frontman was somewhat lacking energy. Still, it was great that they were allowed to use the full screen technology as it was easier to follow their set. I made my way to the front left side in the infield where I’ve seen every Munich show since 2003 (except for 2006 as I had missed that one). Someone had told me before that Def Leppard were allowed a 90-minute slot to play Hysteria in full, so I was surprised when they left the stage after exactly 60 minutes, thinking (hoping) it was due to Bon Jovi wanting more time since the curfew is at 11pm in Munich.
Well, one hour passed without anything happening. Every show since 2003, they didn’t start later than 8:10, maybe 8:15 and it was obvious that it was to be more of the same already. At around 8:30, the crowd to the left started roaring. That’s because the cars with the band members are driven into the stadium in Munich and it can be seen from the seats on the very left side. The intro rushed over the screen (which always kind of kills the anticipation a bit since everybody knows that they’re already there beforehand and just waiting for the intro to be over with) and they kicked off with THINFS. Shanks guitar was very edgy and loud from the beginning which made for a good start, but already here Jon didn’t leave the microphone stand once though the vocals were ok. Same story with Raise Your Hands where he was glued to it almost until the end, but the screens were great and Phil was rocking that thing. The crowd was good and I was enjoying that start. Bad Name was good as well, on the bigger hits the crowd was drowning him out quite a lot which saved many songs in hindsight, but it was fun and Shanks playing decent. Born To Be My Baby was the first one where I noticed him having a hard time in terms of keeping up with the music, but it was still okay and he didn’t try to get the crowd going with the “na na na” part in the end. He just smiled, held the microphone into the audience like “you know what to sing”, went back and finished the song off. What followed was the standard “it’s good to be back in Munich” speech and that he wasn’t gonna talk much because of the curfew. Well, if he didn’t want to get beaten by that, they just should’ve started at the same time they usually did!
Roller Coaster was next and the chorus actually went over well with Tico’s drums having a nice sharp sound and it’s the one I wanted to hear in that spot instead of WLOL, so I liked singing along to that overly cheesy pop tune. The overall sound was good for Munich standards, though they raised the volume later on a bit which then lead to Shanks’s guitar and Jon’s mic having too much treble and sounding a bit annoying at parts.
Next was, of course, Lost Highway: I’ve heard people claiming that he rearranged the melody to fit his current voice. Actually, they play it the same way, but his singing was shockingly off here! Way too slow and the band had one hell of a hard time adjusting to it since they’re backing vocals were always rushing past what Jon was singing. It also proofed to be the first lead balloon of the night since no one really cared for it. Runaway was about to follow and he tried his usual “if you’re really nice to me” to which the crowd didn’t change their reaction which lead to him starting it right away. I had actually wanted to hear that time machine thing, so that was a downer, but the crowd was phenomenal on the song!
Born To Follow killed the momentum they’ve had with Runaway right again and I agree with what others have said before. There are by now just too many shallow lead singles or title tracks crammed into there that really no one gives a shit about. All these albums had a few good tracks, but instead of digging into an album cut here and there, be it a newer or an older record, it’s always the same. The whole main set was so close to what we got in 2013 as well.
HAND was amazing due to the animation and the crowd singing the chorus, Jon was actually okay for today’s standards and then KTF started. Jon went to Hugh, having his arm around his should and telling him to start the song. Tico started one beat too late and the camera (on the left side at least) kept focusing on Hugh playing along with a confused look whereas the whole band was trying to get it back together again. It was an awkward moment since it was the only time the whole night where Hugh actually had been the focus of the screen camera during a song. The song went over well, though the audience seemed to care more about the choruses than the instrumental outro. It’s the only more demanding rhythm wise and it wasn’t too tight in terms of the band either. Not only Jon, but they all went from good to cover band level and back again a few times throughout the night.
I was about to leave for the beer stand, expecting Amen to come up, but to my surprise it was These Days. Jon’s vocals were horrendous at the start and the audience noticeably started chatting about it right away. They covered it up by the chorus and “wooohoo” outros on catwalk were kind of cool! Who Says followed, making me hope that there were actually some setlist shake-ups to come! The intro, albeit being sung with a rusty voice, was nice in it’s acoustic way and somewhat more sincere than most of the night. The song was okay, not too long like in 2006 or 2008, though Jon could hardly hit the “it’s alright” parts, having to rely on the band to “guide” the audience. In These Arms was next, the usual gimmick included: letting David sing and by the time the sound mixers had turned up his microphone, Jon had taken over lead again. But the crowd was really loud on the chorus. The south of Germany certainly has a good choir. Up to the “let’s turn up the heat in here” part and IML! Best moment of the night! But only in terms of the crowd screaming their lungs out which made it actually almost impossible to hear Jon on the infield. From the few spots I could catch, the best thing possible!
Now, I had only listened to three shows beforehand – Nijmegen, Dublin and Dusseldorf – since I had prepared them for my YT channel. On each of the occasions, Jon introduced the band after this song and he did it again here which made it hard to overcome the feeling that it was all like witnessing a scripted play. Pretty much the wording of every speech had been the same as on previous shows. I was hoping for We Don’t Run to follow up instead of God Bless This Mess and we got it. Even though most of the audience probably didn’t know the track, it went over really well due to its powerful sound and fast-paced rhythm. In fact, it’s the first “new unknown” song to work live this No Apologies back in Dresden and Mannheim 2011.
Wanted had great screen animations, but the whole thing felt off. I used to criticize Bounce for playing it and not getting it right, after this concert I realized that this song is just so much about the Jon/Richie combination that you can’t recreate the feeling anymore. Well, moving on to Lay Your Hands On Me and the animations with the giant church windows were damn cool! Haven’t listened to a video afterwards, but the band really sounded like a cover band and off in parts here and others from our group (who were at various spots in the stadium) stated the same afterwards. The exciting trio Crash/Sleep/Medicine rounded out the main set. No covers anymore and, while Crash actually felt okay, I think Sleep and Medicine were bad by Jon. But the crowd was insanely loud during these two and the band sang their asses off in the chorus to keep it on the right track. In 2013, Jon blew the roof of the Olympic Stadium when he started a great 3-song-cover-section in Sleep, this time around I felt he couldn’t get it done fast enough. Bad Medicine had already been done with one reprise in it when Jon made Tico start that “drum spin” which once used to lead into Shout, but we just had to bare through another reprise here.
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
we all know your problems with Jon and the band...
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith1985 View Post
You don't know the problems I have with Jon one bit.....

Ahhh??? Please expand on that? I want to know of you're right.
Posting everyday

The lights went out and they were off. What followed was a 5 minute encore break and, looking at the clock next to the stage, it was obvious that not much more than a 2-song encore was possible anymore. We all agreed that, if they started with a ballad, we’d get the typical ballad/LOAP encore like most other shows as well. They returned, Jon was with them onstage right away which killed the hopes for Dry County in that moment, too. I’ll Be There For You was to start and it was the stadium that made it special. When all the flashlights etc. go on, it creates a giant reflection underneath the Olympic roof which makes it look like a sky with thousands of stars. Absolutely great to watch! Everyone was singing along and we got the ad-libs which were basically exactly the same than on any other show this tour and make me wonder if Jon has learned the whole 140-minute thing by heart… But when the drums kept punching, Jon animating the audience on the catwalk and the crowd singing their hearts out during the reprise – it felt for a moment like what once made me become a fan of all of this. Song was over, no acapella intro to Prayer either, but when the drums kicked in, it was like the pace was going to explode. Didn’t hear Jon at all, much like on Runaway and It’s My Life and much like on these two, that was probably the best thing. When the last chorus and the “woohoo” parts were sung, Jon fell onto his knees at his mic stand laughing – like he couldn’t believe himself that after all that had happened through the last 6 years, he had really been able to get back and play one his favourite places one more time. It felt sincere and really like tons of weight had fallen off his shoulders. The song was done, they did the final bows and Jon was one of the first to leave the stage with Tico being the last and turning back to the audience one more time to thankfully nod to the people and thank us!
They almost hadn’t left the stage when the house lights and PA music started coming back on and there were many faces around is in disbelief. I’d assume that most of the audience had seen at least one show in this stadium before and some seemed to be really surprised by how short and rushed it all had been.
I somehow left this show with an empty feeling like I’ve never had after a Bon Jovi concert. In Dusseldorf 2011, I was disappointed, but gutted at the same time because it was down to them having been moody. This time around – the great thing was: both Jon and the band were giving their all. Can’t deny that, he was trying really hard. At the same time – the sad thing was: Jon and the band were actually giving their all. I don’t think that, at this point in time, they have more in them and I honestly feel it may have been their last visit to Europe. Jon’s fallen into the habit of putting on his “public smile” each time he flounders a note. That’s why he’s smiling that much. He was energetic on stage and working the crowd, but at the same time it felt like he was dialing it in. Tico is really on the edge of being able to pull off such a demanding show (he had no break with Amen like on most other occasions) and there have been a few blips here and there, but this guy still is my hero for fighting like a troop behind his drum kit. Dave was as solid as he’s always been, as were Phil and Hugh. Can’t say much about Shanks or Bradley since they just didn’t really stick out in a good or bad way. I definitely think they’re all having a good time with each other, playing these big crowds and touring Europe, but also don’t think their hearts are really in it anymore. Can’t blame them when the band leader talked about “it’s just a day job!” as far back as early 2013.
Albeit all this bitching, it wasn’t a bad concert. It was a solid rock concert. During the last few years, I’ve gone to bands like KISS and the Scorpions. Music that I grew up with and where I said that I wanted to see these bands once in my life before they retired. The shows were all good and I left saying “it was nice to have experienced it once, but I wouldn’t need to do it again” and it just applied this time around again. But Bon Jovi concerts used to be THE difference to me from so many other rock acts out there. Maybe I had just always been extremely lucky in picking my shows, but I loved the fact that it was all unexpected – for better or for worse. That one rare track here and there, that one thing you didn’t see coming, but it took you away to certain memories. That was what made it so exciting. It could also be that I simply can’t stand too much predictability.
After all the bad reviews over the years and the partly shocking videos, I wanted to see and judge it by myself. Their music has supported me on many occasions through troublesome times, so I didn’t feel like I needed to stop supporting them immediately because Jon’s struggling. But then again, their support in my life wasn’t nearly as expensive as the other way around.
Everyone has different reasons why they love the band. Some are already happy when Jon’s smiling and supposedly enjoying himself. All good, nothing wrong with that. I became a fan at the age of 14 because I loved the energy, that sharpness their live shows had, the way Jon would sing a song and take certain lines/verses to a different level by his gift of being able to phrase things and melodies in a way that I think no one else could (in my book). Then there was Richie and that feeling when their voices melted together was something you can’t even describe. Plus that feeling when I listened to him playing his guitar, these subtle nuances he had in there were just what made it so special. On this concert, it was all about the big choruses (at least from where I was standing) and these were fun to sing with so many people, no doubt about that. Yet what made it all once the center of life for me (albeit Jon’s still undoubtedly good frontman characteristics), it’s gone.
But I guess I’ve realized that my personal taste and what the band is doing by now (also in terms of studio outputs) just isn’t on the same page anymore. Not bitter about it, these were terrific 15 years and some of their music will always hold a special place in my life and I’ll certainly keep track of what may come in the future. Maybe something might pull me back in, you never know. I’ve found bands where I just see exactly what once made me become a fan of Bon Jovi and I’m happy to move on to new adventures and music. When I walked out of the stadium in Cologne 6 years ago, I said “if it all ended tonight, it’s been a perfect ride”. It may not have been that perfect high note like back then, but Munich certainly still was a good bookmark to close that chapter.

Last edited by bonjovi90; 07-08-2019 at 03:17 PM..
Old 07-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
The lights went out and they were off. What followed was a 5 minute encore break and, looking at the clock next to the stage, it was obvious that not much more than a 2-song encore was possible anymore. We all agreed that, if they started with a ballad, we’d get the typical ballad/LOAP encore like most other shows as well. They returned, Jon was with them onstage right away which killed the hopes for Dry County in that moment, too. I’ll Be There For You was to start and it was the stadium that made it special. When all the flashlights etc. go on, it creates a giant reflection underneath the Olympic roof which makes it look like a sky with thousands of stars. Absolutely great to watch! Everyone was singing along and we got the ad-libs which were basically exactly the same than on any other show this tour and make me wonder if Jon has learned the whole 140-minute thing by heart… But when the drums kept punching, Jon animating the audience on the catwalk and the crowd singing their hearts out during the reprise – it felt for a moment like what once made me become a fan of all of this. Song was over, no acapella intro to Prayer either, but when the drums kicked in, it was like the pace was going to explode. Didn’t hear Jon at all, much like on Runaway and It’s My Life and much like on these two, that was probably the best thing. When the last chorus and the “woohoo” parts were sung, Jon fell onto his knees at his mic stand laughing – like he couldn’t believe himself that after all that had happened through the last 6 years, he had really been able to get back and play one his favourite places one more time. It felt sincere and really like tons of weight had fallen off his shoulders. The song was done, they did the final bows and Jon was one of the first to leave the stage with Tico being the last and turning back to the audience one more time to thankfully nod to the people and thank us!
They almost hadn’t left the stage when the house lights and PA music started coming back on and there were many faces around is in disbelief. I’d assume that most of the audience had seen at least one show in this stadium before and some seemed to be really surprised by how short and rushed it all had been.
I somehow left this show with an empty feeling like I’ve never had after a Bon Jovi concert. In Dusseldorf 2011, I was disappointed, but gutted at the same time because it was down to them having been moody. This time around – the great thing was: both Jon and the band were giving their all. Can’t deny that, he was trying really hard. At the same time – the sad thing was: Jon and the band were actually giving their all. I don’t think that, at this point in time, they have more in them and I honestly feel it may have been their last visit to Europe. Jon’s fallen into the habit of putting on his “public smile” each time he flounders a note. That’s why he’s smiling that much. He was energetic on stage and working the crowd, but at the same time it felt like he was dialing it in. Tico is really on the edge of being able to pull off such a demanding show (he had no break with Amen like on most other occasions) and there have been a few blips here and there, but this guy still is my hero for fighting like a troop behind his drum kit. Dave was as solid as he’s always been, as were Phil and Hugh. Can’t say much about Shanks or Bradley since they just didn’t really stick out in a good or bad way. I definitely think they’re all having a good time with each other, playing these big crowds and touring Europe, but also don’t think their hearts are really in it anymore. Can’t blame them when the band leader talked about “it’s just a day job!” as far back as early 2013.
Albeit all this bitching, it wasn’t a bad concert. It was a solid rock concert. During the last few years, I’ve gone to bands like KISS and the Scorpions. Music that I grew up with and where I said that I wanted to see these bands once in my life before they retired. The shows were all good and I left saying “it was nice to have experienced it once, but I wouldn’t need to do it again” and it just applied this time around again. But Bon Jovi concerts used to be THE difference to me from so many other rock acts out there. Maybe I had just always been extremely lucky in picking my shows, but I loved the fact that it was all unexpected – for better or for worse. That one rare track here and there, that one thing you didn’t see coming, but it took you away to certain memories. That was what made it so exciting. It could also be that I simply can’t stand too much predictability.
After all the bad reviews over the years and the partly shocking videos, I wanted to see and judge it by myself. Their music has supported me on many occasions through troublesome times, so I didn’t feel like I needed to stop supporting them immediately because Jon’s struggling. But then again, their support in my life wasn’t nearly as expensive as the other way around.
Everyone has different reasons why they love the band. Some are already happy when Jon’s smiling and supposedly enjoying himself. All good, nothing wrong with that. I became a fan at the age of 14 because I loved the energy, that sharpness their live shows had, the way Jon would sing a song and take certain lines/verses to a different level by his gift of being able to phrase things and melodies in a way that I think no one else could (in my book). Then there was Richie and that feeling when their voices melted together was something you can’t even describe. Plus that feeling when I listened to him playing his guitar, these subtle nuances he had in there were just what made it so special. On this concert, it was all about the big choruses (at least from where I was standing) and these were fun to sing with so many people, no doubt about that. Yet what made it all once the center of life for me (albeit Jon’s still undoubtedly good frontman characteristics), it’s gone.
But I guess I’ve realized that my personal taste and what the band is doing by now (also in terms of studio outputs) just isn’t on the same page anymore. Not bitter about it, these were terrific 15 years and some of their music will always hold a special place in my life and I’ll certainly keep track of what may come in the future. Maybe something might pull me back in, you never know. I’ve found bands where I just see exactly what once made me become a fan of Bon Jovi and I’m happy to move on to new adventures and music. When I walked out of the stadium in Cologne 6 years ago, I said “if it all ended tonight, it’s been a perfect ride”. It may not have been that perfect high note like back then, but Munich certainly still was a good bookmark to close that chapter.
And there go your YT videos as well, I assume? F*ck...
Old 07-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
And there go your YT videos as well, I assume? F*ck...
The channel won't be deleted.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Dry County

Quote:
The channel won't be deleted.
That's good to hear, but I was always looking forward to your new videos, and now that I've understood that you won't upload new content on the channel anymore, I can't help but feel very sad. I'm pretty sure the same goes for numerous other BJ diehards as well. You'll leave a huge gap in new/unreleased/rare BJ stuff being released on YT.

Either way, thanks for your collaboration through the years and all the best for your future, discovering new bands and everything. Let's all really hope that something will pull you back to the former level of your BJ fandom again.

Last edited by BJFan99; 07-08-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Old 07-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Most of what you say here is how I feel about it. Thank you for your sincere review. I wish I would disagree, but I don't.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

bonjovi90, can you tell me what these new bands you listen to are ? I'm always eager to hear new stuff

And thank you for your feedback from the show. I feel the same about Dusseldorf, except for Jon singing off pace. For many of us, it seems like a chapter is about to get closed.
To be fair, I had a blast both in Wembley and Dusseldorf though the London show was more special. But it's time to throw the towel. It's been a great ride, 130 million albums sold, hall of famers. But time takes its toll, for all of us.