Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Official June 23, Ricoh Arena, Coventry, England Thread

Tour Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 09:50 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster73 View Post
I still find myself being frustrated with this show...

All he had to do was add We Don't Run and Runaway into the main set and then an encore of These Days and Prayer.. we then have better length to the show. It's a shame that the ticket price is the same as the other UK shows but for this one you get less from the band.

His voice didn't sound as strong as Wembley but I don't feel the changes above were impossible. I still say Wembley was incredible and that at least gives me hope that he can pull it off, just not every night sadly.
That's my only criticism I can label towards the band. They should play roughly the same amount of songs at each concert. Like you said everyone has paid the same price and should get the same amount of entertainment.

I was lucky I went to Wembley but I always knew Coventry would suffer the most in the UK.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Can I just make a point... and I fully expect to get shot down by the ‘Jon’s finished’ brigade...

I went on Sunday to Coventry. I took my two sons, aged 13 and 11, who have pretty much waited for the last six, seven or eight years for me to take them to a Bon Jovi concert. It’s the soundtrack of their lives from before they can even remember.

I’ve seen them three or four times in the last 25 years. Was Sunday as good as in 2003? It was better... Sunday night was the best night of my sons lives.

Why does Jon still roll out and tour? There were 37,000 people in that stadium on Sunday night and, from what I saw and heard, they all had an absolute blast. You can nit pick about vocals on a YouTube video. But standing in that stadium, watching my eleven year old son with a smile as wide as a Cheshire Cat, signing Livin On A Prayer as loud as he could scream, that is worth every single penny. That is what a Bon Jovi concert is all about. It’s about seeing my 13 year old, who normally talks in grunts, singing Bad Name at the top of his voice like he’s waited his whole life to do it.

I paid £80 a ticket on Sunday. I would have paid ten times that for those moments and that could have only happened at a Bon Jovi concert.

During the sing a long of Ill Be There For You, my youngest grabbed hold of me and, with tears in his eyes, said... ‘Dad... Thank you’.

That is what Sunday’s concert was. Yeah, you can pull it apart and complain about vocals and whatever. You try telling a 13 year old and an 11 year old that it wasn’t good. I tell you now... no one will ever take the memory of Sunday night from them. That will stay with them forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2019, 11:46 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by robknowles1978 View Post
Can I just make a point... and I fully expect to get shot down by the ‘Jon’s finished’ brigade...

I went on Sunday to Coventry. I took my two sons, aged 13 and 11, who have pretty much waited for the last six, seven or eight years for me to take them to a Bon Jovi concert. It’s the soundtrack of their lives from before they can even remember.

I’ve seen them three or four times in the last 25 years. Was Sunday as good as in 2003? It was better... Sunday night was the best night of my sons lives.

Why does Jon still roll out and tour? There were 37,000 people in that stadium on Sunday night and, from what I saw and heard, they all had an absolute blast. You can nit pick about vocals on a YouTube video. But standing in that stadium, watching my eleven year old son with a smile as wide as a Cheshire Cat, signing Livin On A Prayer as loud as he could scream, that is worth every single penny. That is what a Bon Jovi concert is all about. It’s about seeing my 13 year old, who normally talks in grunts, singing Bad Name at the top of his voice like he’s waited his whole life to do it.

I paid £80 a ticket on Sunday. I would have paid ten times that for those moments and that could have only happened at a Bon Jovi concert.

During the sing a long of Ill Be There For You, my youngest grabbed hold of me and, with tears in his eyes, said... ‘Dad... Thank you’.

That is what Sunday’s concert was. Yeah, you can pull it apart and complain about vocals and whatever. You try telling a 13 year old and an 11 year old that it wasn’t good. I tell you now... no one will ever take the memory of Sunday night from them. That will stay with them forever.

Beautiful.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:02 AM
Undiscovered Posts

I’ve been following this forum for a number of years but mainly as a reader. I went along on Sunday with my wife and we are massive Jovi fans from the early 90s. Having not seen them since the last visit to Cardiff I was super excited and in the build up it felt like seeing the band the first time over.

I know there is a lot of negativity on here about jon’s Voice and the shortness of the set, but I left the venue on Sunday having enjoyed one of the best concerts I’d been to over the past 5 yrs. Yes Jon’s voice isn’t what it was, and not having Richie around is disappointing but the band were having a great time and Jon was putting so much energy into the show.

What struck me the most was that the crowd was so into it. Nearly everyone at the venue had grown up supporting the band and had an emotional tie to the evening. I’ve never been at a Jovi concert where the gold circle were so into it and the atmosphere was brilliant. I think the crowd helped Jon through some of the songs and hid some of his flaws.

I think that we have to accept that at the age of 57 Jon is going to struggle at times, but Bon Jovi are the band I grew up loving and I’d much prefer 2hrs at this level than not at all. Sunday was a blast and even though the set list was shorter than others we got 20 brilliant tunes and the time flew by.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:07 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Location: In a bar breathing smoke, snorting whiskey drinking coke.

Quote:
my youngest grabbed hold of me and, with tears in his eyes, said... ‘Dad... Thank you’.

I don't buy this at all. Sounds like something out of a Hollywood movie.

In fact, there have been two gushing, glowing reviews posted within half an hour of each other by users with less than 20 posts....

I smell fishies.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:36 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictoc View Post
I don't buy this at all. Sounds like something out of a Hollywood movie.

In fact, there have been two gushing, glowing reviews posted within half an hour of each other by users with less than 20 posts....

I smell fishies.
You're such a bundle of joy around here

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 03:53 AM
These Days

Quote:

Thank you, kind sir! My tear ducts needed a good cleaning!
Sounds like your sons aren't the only ones who are going to have a memory that stays with them forever. I'm so glad you all had such a great time
Old 06-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:

Great post and I am glad the experience was like this for you and your children.

For me I took my wife to Wembley, she has seen them once before in 2010. It was amazing, Jon and the band were on fire and we had an amazing time.

Coventry was me and a friend, we have seen Bon Jovi together a number of times and this one was probably the worst so it is how you compare I guess, or maybe who you go with to a degree.

Hyde Park 2013 I took my daughter who was then 8, absolutely loved it as seeing her reaction was priceless.

My main point was that it was a shorter show at the same cost as when Jon decides to pull out all the stops. If 22 songs is the new normal then ok but don't give some shows 25 and some 20.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Definitely hope we get another stadium show eventually so I can take my boy, he's too young at 5 to care at the moment (vehemently refused despite his love of Bad Name!) but in a few years would be great for him to experience it / be indoctrinated against his will.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 06-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
I had a similar experience at Anfield. During Captain Crash my two year old tugged on my jeans, I knelt down next to him and he whispered, ....'Cor blimey father, this is all rather jolly good fun isn't it? I would just like to extend my humblest gratitude for graciously bringing me to this marvelous spectacle on such a fine summers eve'.
26th June 2010, The O2 Arena, London.
8th June 2013, Manchester Ethiad Stadium.
19th June 2019, Liverpool Anfield Stadium.