View Single Post

Old 08-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

I don't care either way. Electric, acoustic, on a banjo, with an Indian Pan Flute orchestra... Nothing will make it any better as he just can't sing anymore. You feel he sounds better but to me he doesn't. I hear just as many flaws in the way he sings low key as he does when he tries to do the higher chorusses. I've always had to turn off Hallelujah as it's just not sung well, it never was. Just because he isn't straining as much doesn't mean the other way around is better.

No, it's not. Cohen was known for his iconic deep voice. Mark Knopfler's voice gets mentioned often in regards to his lack of ability to sing yet being fully capable of delivering due to his voice having grown into a warm, deep and soothing sound. Jon's voice was never iconic for being deep nor does it have the warmth of Mark Knopfler's voice. Whenever Jon sings in a low key he's just your average singer. He just doesn't have what Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash and Tom Waits had/have.

Yeah, it's boring. You're trying to make more of these performances than they are as you're clearly not hearing all the issues he's got performing this way. He's not singing well. His breathing is off, he can't pronounce several words, struggles to string a sentence together and his timing is off. And in regards to your Take That argument; they're a better oiled machine than Bon Jovi are and better singers too. They could actually do an acoustic performance and do it justice.

Yeah, he sounds worse because his flaws are only highlighted due to him not being able to hind behind a wall of sound and 3 backing vocalists. It doesn't mean it'll suddenly give him more dignity as it won't. Playing in front of 50.000 people who clearly enjoy themselves gives him more dignity than doing small theaters playing songs no one cares for. One of the biggest selling points of your argument is him doing Hallelujah justice. A song, done by many, many, many other singers as it's incredibly hard to **** up. And yet he's never sung the line "The baffled king composing Hallelujah" correctly as he's out of breath by the time he gets there. These acoustic shows are full of flaws like these. The way he sings these songs he just sucks the energy right out of them.

By the time last tour ended he'd played in front of about 700.000 people of which, despite the shocking vocals, clearly most had a great time and would go again. And yet you want him to do small acoustic shows in theaters holding 2.000 people, meaning for the same amount of shows he'd play in front of 40.000 people. That's 660.000 people not buying a ticket. How does playing in front of less people give him more dignity? Because, according to you, he sounds better?

He doesn't. Because, like I've said multiple times by now, he can't sing anymore.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
You can go around the world all you like, but acoustic Jon is in tune and he doesn’t look like he’s dying. That means it could be something to work on, unlike the silly stadium filling business he’s doing.

First you said he would sound worse acoustic, then just boring and now you’re saying he sounds just as bad. Forget your forum day job and admit it: he sounds better acousticly, and with a bit of work, it could be a good show.

Read your own words re Cohen and Knopfler...you own justifications are exactly why you can’t compare them to Jon 😉