Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Billboard review of Keith Urban's new CD

Other Bands

Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Billboard review of Keith Urban's new CD

I'm just floored. I think this is the most positive review I've ever read of any CD, ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://billboard.com/bbcom/discograp...828&aid=808845

Album Review
Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing is being released on November 7, 2006, just after country singer and songwriter Keith Urban entered -- of his own accord -- into treatment for alcoholism. With Urban having married actress and fellow Australian Nicole Kidman just months before, the timing couldn't be better. After all, Urban is trying to get well at the very peak of his life -- thus far -- personally and professionally. Be Here, his last album, is, at the time of this writing, at nearly the four-million mark in sales. As fine as that disc is, this one is another giant leap for Urban as an artist. Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing is slicker than anything Urban has issued before, but that's because it's more ambitious as well. Urban is a rocking guitarist, a complete wildman on the electric six-string, and he can combine his tough, unhinged approach to playing guitar with pop songwriting and utterly brilliant production elements that layer strings, drum loops, fiddles, banjos, E-Bows, and Hammond B-3s. Add a songwriting style that touches on the classic elements of rock, country, and mainstream pop, and you have something that hasn't been heard in the country genre in this way before. That's right -- the album is further proof of his ability to stretch the genre to the breaking point by bringing in more of modern pop's elements while remaining firmly within it. This albums feels, song by song, as if there isn't anything he can't do. Co-producing with Dan Huff, Urban wrote or co-wrote ten of the album's 13 cuts -- there's a hidden track buried in the CD-R portion of the disc. The production is thoroughly modern, but feels like the country equivalent of George Martin. It's positively baroque in places, and there is so much packed in that it almost, ALMOST feels claustrophobic, but he makes it work beautifully. No record since Neil Diamond's brilliant Beautiful Noise -- produced by the Band's Robbie Robertson -- has sounded so regal and inviting. The album's first single, "Once in a Lifetime," opens the set; it entered the Billboard chart at number 17, the highest debuting single since the chart's inception. But the shock is simply that it's not the best track on the record. Urban has packed this disc with fine writing and excellent, even defining versions of the songs he chose to cover. There are a number of rockers, including "Faster Car," with its smoking, funky bassline and layered power chords on guitars and his "ganjo" that ring above the horn section, and "I Told You So," which uses acoustic guitars, fiddles, and the ganjo to usher in some twisting, minor-key electrics. Both songs are based on tight little hooks; both songs build to the breaking point and allow Urban's voice to soar above the instruments. On the latter tune, Uilleann pipes and bouzouki are layered into the mix in a melody that brings to bear Celtic cowboy lyric frames and tribal rhythms that just explode near the end when Urban cuts loose in a serious, distortion-laden guitar wrangle. "Shine," which begins as a shimmering country-pop tune, is a another example, as a string section and his unhinged soloing style battle for dominance in the nearly unbearable climax. "I Can't Stop Loving You," written by Billy Nichols, is another big climax tune, but it becomes one of the great modern country love songs with its incessant reaching to its crescendo -- provided by an army of strings and big power chords. "Used to the Pain," written with Darrell Brown, is a stealthy rocking love song that drips with emotion brought out by vocals that swirl all around the instrumental mix and huge drums. The down-home anthem "Raise the Barn," a duet with Ronnie Dunn, was written in reaction to the destruction done by Hurricane Katrina. Urban can write a shuffling country-rocker with the best of them. Urban didn't pen "God Made Woman," but his version makes the track his own. Beginning with a choir (somewhat smaller and yet reminiscent of the Rolling Stones on "You Can't Always Get What You Want"), the cut quickly becomes a loud and proud country-rock anthem that celebrates -- not objectifies -- women. "Tu Compañía" is a way funky country two-step love song driven by the ganjo. Yeah. Funky. The album's final cut, "Got It Right This Time," sounds like a homemade demo by the rest of the album's standards, with Urban handling drum machine and keyboard chores while singing. That said, it's far from substandard and certainly belongs here, as it showcases Urban's voice in all its unadorned grandeur and reveals the influence of soul music on his singing. Those who wish to decry Urban as some kind of slick, formulaic songwriter and flavor of the country music moment are missing it. The man writes honest, beautifully crafted songs that are adult enough to ponder, tough enough to rock, and tender enough to pull -- not tug -- on the heartstrings. As previously stated, there's no better time to get well than when you are at the absolute top of your game. While Urban's previous records have had their moments and Be Here was his true arrival, Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing is his mature pop masterpiece -- and for all its wonder and expertise, it feels like it's just a taste of what he will offer in the future. ~ Thom Jurek, All Music Guide

I agree with him on most points except "Got It Right This Time." With the keyboard and drum machine it sounds like a really bad demo from the late 70's/early 80's and does not fit with the quality of the other songs. It's just bad.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:22 PM
wolfgang

I'm not sure if this cd is as good as the previous 2. Its certainly not leaps and bounds better. I kind of like the production on Got It Right This Time and I wish he did more stuff that sounded like that. Sometimes the production is too glossy. As a straight country guitarist he's not that good. He can't do the things that a Jimmy Olander or a Vince Gill or even a Brad Paisley can do. As a straight rock guitarist he's not that good either. But he covers both of these deficiencies by combining the two styles better than almost anyone. He's much better than the guy from Rascall Flatts or the muscular guy from Montgomery Gentry's band or the skinny guy from Kenny Chesney's band.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Jovi Geek

Becky,
Thanks for posting the review. I love Keith but didn't care that much for Be Here. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this one.

deb
Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Price of posting

Becky, thanks for posting this. Even though i have the boot you sent me i am definitely picking up the CD this weekend.
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3
Old 11-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I don't think Keith will ever record anything I like more than Golden Road, but after just a month or so of listening to this one, I do like it better than Be Here. Be Here had a few songs that didn't hold up over time for me.

The standout tracks to me are the following:

I Told You So. This one should be a blockbuster hit like Somebody Like You. It doesn't sound like anything else on the radio right now. I love the pipes, the furious drums, the perfect vocals, the ganjo--everything about it.

Faster Car: It was a showstopper live and doesn't disappoint on the CD. The horn section and driving bass line make it the most fun song on the CD.

Used to the Pain: It was one that I had to listen to a couple of times to really get into but then it became one that I keep going back to. "There's a past in everyone you can't undo, you can't outrun" is one of my favorite lines from the CD.

Can't Stop Loving You: I'm typically not fond of a capable singer/songwriter covering someone else's material, but this makes me reconsider my bias. It makes a perfect country song. The guitar solo at the end brings to my mind the image of a mellow Slash.

God Made Woman: Again, I was biased against it because he didn't write it, but what do I know. LOL The guitar is fabulous. I like the throwback to the Stones and the na-na's make me think of Bon Jovi, so it's hard not to love it. "He took a river that winds and turns; he took a fire that breathes and burns" is a great line too.

Tu Compania: It's just fun and different. Whereas the vocals in I Told You So are perfect, the vocals in Tu Compania are perfectly flawed. It sounds like one helluva great time was had by all.

As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of Got It Right This Time--I didn't like it live and the recording isn't any better. Keith should have given it to Tim McGraw. It would make a perfect sappy ballad to add to the festering, ever-growing stinkpile of sappy Tim McGraw ballads. I think "Won't Let You Down" is weak compared to the rest of the CD too.

I guess since I'm not hung up on genres, I don't care if Keith is a great "country" guitarist or a great "rock" guitarist. He's the most awe-inspiring guitarist I've ever witnessed in any genre and I've come to look forward to the guitar work on his records and in his performances as much as, sometimes more than, I do the lyrics/vocals. That's a first for me. I've always been about the lyrics/vocals until I saw him live. I'm not saying that to be argumentative at all, because it's all a matter of opinion on who's good/better/best. It's the kind of thing that's stupid to argue about. LOL