View Single Post

Old 12-01-2003, 12:41 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist
The Unplugged album is high point in KISStory, containing incredible performances that prove the caliber of the band goes beyond just visuals and pyrotechnics.
Well put. Unplugged could be the starting point, it's easy on the ears of a Bon Jovi fan but it still rocks.

Ice
I would still say one not start with Unplugged. It can be enjoyed on it's own. But take for example, Rock Bottom. I never dreamed Paul Stanely would DESTROY both the original studio version vocal AND the Alive! performance. He sings it in a way that takes the best aspects of both the original and live version and launches them into the stratosphere. This can only be fully appreciated if you know those versions of the songs prior. Of course you can listen to the performance on its own not ever hearing any other version and still go "damn, that was good!" It's about working towards being able to appreciate these high points by uncovering the basics first. Starting with Unplugged would be kinda like starting at the top and working your way back. It might make the rest seem relatively anticlimatic.

My reference point is I first heard the Alive version of Rock Bottom before the Studio version. The live version captured me immediately on it's own. Later I heard the studio version on Dressed To Kill....it was interesting enough..but I also realized I would have liked that version too...and had I heard that first and then heard the Alive version I would have been even more blown away on the initial listening.

I don't know about an album that translates into a bridge for a Bon Jovi fan. KISS is just an altogether different type of band (unless you truly believe Bon Jovi is about big anthems..which I don't....they have big anthems just as most bands do...but anthems are hardly their hallmark as some will attempt to have you believe.) There are 80s songs where KISS did that attempt to xerox the Bon Jovi formula, unfortunately. But I wouldn't suggest them as possible bridges.

I do have this to offer as far as a Bon Jovi and KISS connection. Aside from the fact that Bon Jovi supported KISS on the European Animalize tour (for the debut album).... while in school, Jon sang the KISS song Strutter (from KISS' debut album, KISS) with a band in a Talent show (I cannot remember if it was Junior High or High School.) So that's one avenue to chase down, and it's a classic to boot with a great guitar riffs.