Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Count Your Blessings: Afghan women rock out at ladies-only concert

Other Bands

Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Count Your Blessings: Afghan women rock out at ladies-only concert

Quote:
English Al Arabiya.net: More than 400 Afghan women and girls jumped from their seats, screaming and even head banging to rock and rap music at an all-female music festival in the capital of Kabul, which organizers say was the largest such event in the country’s history...

The rare women’s day, part of a multi-day Sound Central concert...drew a boisterous crowd - mostly teenagers in the high school uniform of grey tunic and white hijab, but also abuse victims from shelters and even a few grandmothers...(The concert was)...publicized...by sending out fliers and teams of women to schools to convince teachers and parents that the festival would cause young women no harm...(O)nly female press members were allowed...

Afghan women have won back hard-fought rights such as education and work since the Islamist Taliban was toppled 12 years ago, but there are fears these freedoms could shrink once NATO-led forces withdraw from Afghanistan by the end of next year...

“I’m worried that when the troops leave, we’ll be stuck in our homes like we were in the past,” said 16-year-old student Shabona Nabizada, shouting above the din of electric guitar. “As women we’re ridiculed and harassed. I feel free being able to come here and leave all that behind,” she added...
Despite having to wear a tunic and hijab and there being no male companions in the audience, she feels "free" because she's finally getting to enjoy the music she loves. Puts all of the whining around here into perspective, doesn't it?

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 11-09-2014 at 01:00 AM..

Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

Having lived in an extremely conservative Islamic country I can say that yup it does put things into perspective and also, we REALLY don't appreciate just how good we have it in the West.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Just the thought of living like that gives me chills. I know it exists but I hate the thought. There but for the grace of god go I........

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Something for the Posts

A step in the right direction:

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 09-23-2015 at 08:48 PM..
Old 06-17-2016, 10:33 PM
Something for the Posts

Meliani Siti Sumartini Update