Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Review: Metallica - Death Magnetic

Other Bands

Old 09-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04
Default Review: Metallica - Death Magnetic

So here we go. I've been waiting five years for the next Metallica album and it has finally arrived... Well, kinda. I'm bothered specifically by the skeptics that shut them out because "they don't have it anymore". Well let me go ahead and re-assure you that they definently have not lost it. Death Magnetic is it's own beast from beginning to end. It's very hard for me to pick out a really weak track. To be honest, each track on Death Magnetic blows the best song off of St. Anger. (Whichever you may choose). So here we go, track by track.

That Was Just Your Life - Great way to open the album up. The heartbeat at the beginning of the song catches you off guard. Then it takes off. It's hard for me to compare it to any other Metallica song because it just doesn't really sound like any other Metallica. It's a very fast track, with a little thrash. Kirk kicks the solo's ass, even more than I expected really. I'd also like to mention that Jame's vocals are very good. Very solid way to kick it off. 8/10

The End of the Line - For those that remember the first new song they ever played 2 years ago, you'll notice the intro a bit. This isn't the last you'll hear of this song either! After the first minute or so, it really kicks into a riff that reminds me of Master of Puppets a little bit. It's pretty killer. There's a pretty cool jam during the chorus that is by far my favorite bit from the album thus far. The solo absolutely blew me away. It could be the best solo on the album IMO. It's absolutely fantastic. Wait till you hear it!! There's also a slowed down party towards the end of the song that kinda catches you off guard. It doesn't last long though. This is probably my favorite track off the album I believe. 9.5/10

Broken, Beat, and Scarred - Another cool intro. That's one thing I've noticed. The intro's are really good. The first verse has a very cool riff. Quite a groove really. Just good hard head banging! The solo again is very solid. Some of it reminds me of The Day That Never Comes. Pretty good thrasher though. 8/10

The Day That Never Comes - I'm sure everyone has heard this thing by now. I've made the conclusion that this is the weakest song on the album maybe. It's hard for me to get into this one as much as I have the others. I'm not really a fan of the vocals here. Until it builds up to the upbeat part of the song. Good dueling guitars though make up for the lack of presence in the rest of the song. 7/10

All Nightmare Song - This intro has some Rob influence in it. Good bass line, middle-eastern sounding. Then it just up and kicks into a heavy thrash riff. It leaves you wanting more. A pretty good chorus and a pretty killer solo (again). I'm anxious to hear what others think of this song. 8/10

Cyanide - The intro is so badass here. The guitars here just sound so heavy and loud. This is one of the more "modern poppy" sounding tracks on the record. Don't get me wrong though, it's really awesome. "Suicide, I've already died!" part of the song is great. There's a middle eastern influenced part again right before the solo that's pretty groovy. The solo again is good. The final few notes takes you into a dueling guitar that sounds amazing. 8/10

The Unforgiven III - Okay, so really... This isn't what you expect. The crescendo of the horn is not present. (Sorry I spoiled it). The intro has some piano, violin, and of course the horn. It's very melodic. The intro of the guitar is kinda evil sounding IMO. Of the three Unforgivens, this one is the most different, but could be my favorite of three. I love the orchestra mixed in as well during the second verse. "Forgive me" is a phrase chanted by James that has the orchestra in the background and it's amazing. That leads into the solo that starts off tamed down but really becomes fantastic as it comes to a close. This fits into the family, but does sound the most dissimilar. 9/10

The Judas Kiss - A very cool intro with James vocals kinda at an offbeat. "Bow down, sell your soul to me" is absolutely one of my favorites lines from the album. It's so ****ing awesome, but doesn't go anywhere really though. There are solo's in this song. Yes, plural. They are again, very very solid. Kirk kills them. They are some of the fastest, thrashiest solos he's written since AJFA. AWESOME. The song though is all over the place as a whole though. This was one of the ones I was looking forward to the most, and it doesn't really dissapoint I'd say. Not my favorite though. 8/10 (Just because of the solo and bow down part).

Suicide and Redemption - How about a new instrumental. This is no way comparable to Ktulu or Orion. It's very heavy, not really fast to begin with. Might I add, it's the longest track on the album. A slow interlude leads into the solo, which is one of the weaker solos on the album. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just too short for being an instrumental. This is the only song on the album I really can't grasp quite yet. 7/10

My Apocalypse - We have all heard this by now I think. This is a thrasher that really reminds me of Battery during the chorus. This song was considered a weak one by many people, but I disagree. The "Spit it out!" line is the best part of the track. The solo is very good again. It's a pretty good closer and should be somewhat well recieved. 8/10

So with that said... Those worried that Metallica couldn't do it anymore should be kicked right in the face. They have it and proved right here. Kirk did some amazing guitar work and I think that's what I'm most surprised about. I mean, it absolutely blew me away some of it. The vocals are okay, some songs are better than others. It's been like that though. I think many are going to be able to put this up against some of their favorite Metallica albums of all-time. I can honestly say, that Death Magnetic has found a home right behind And Justice For All... as the most musically complex and best Metallica album in my books. It's impressive in it's own way. It's ballsy, and a big "**** You" to the guys that say they can't do it anymore. Now they are going to have to make up another excuse to hate on Metallica because it's certainly not because of lack of good music here. I rate the album... 8.5/10

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????

Last edited by RyanBounce04; 09-03-2008 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Jovi Freak

The waiting is over. Although after hearing it just once, Iīd say itīs not great album, only ok. Itīs a bit too long. Most of the songs are too long. I would have dropped a song or two. It got a little boring towards the end. There isnīt any "new classics" in it. Canīt name a song that really sticks out. In good or bad way. Great riffs here and there. Better than St. Anger though.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via AIM to Adam D

I didn't enjoy it. Every song sounds the same IMO. Just fast, thrash metal track after track. Sadly, the drums have the same sort of sound they had on St. Anger. I'm also not sure why they feel the need to make EVERY song so long. I feel as though many of them would be better if trimmed a bit. They seem to just be making noise for the sake of making noise.

As I said to my friend earlier, who used to be a huge Metallica fan, the band seems to have finally become what fans spent years telling people they weren't. The melody seems all but gone in the last two albums. Say what you will about Load and Reload, but at least there was some variation between the tracks. Nothing stands out, the lyrics are laughable once again and as mentioned earlier, the drumming is awful and repetitive.

Yes, it's better than St. Anger, but that's not saying much.
Slippery When Wet
The Circle
Crush
Have A Nice Day
Lost Highway
What About Now
Bounce
7800 Fahrenheit
Bon Jovi

"Each song played was just another example of how ingenious these guys are at writing choruses that make you feel like there’s a big game tomorrow, that you’re the underdog, and that you’re going to win."

Last edited by Adam D; 09-03-2008 at 08:10 AM..
Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

This review is coming from someone who thought Bounce was the best thing Bon Jovi had ever done. From all I've heard from this album I agree with Stut. Nothing stands out and most of is just long for the sake of being long.

And James sounds so weird because they recorded everything half a key lower but then pitched it back up again.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 09-03-2008 at 09:07 AM..
Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 AM
The Distance

I've heard it halfway and I thought it was quite good. I'm not too impressed with track 3 and The Unforgiven 3. Indeed the songs are quite long - the drums aren't too good but then Lars Ulrich is a shitty drummer. Too bad they've pitched the vocals but what the hell, I'm sure this album will grow on me.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stut View Post
The waiting is over. Although after hearing it just once, Iīd say itīs not great album, only ok. Itīs a bit too long. Most of the songs are too long. I would have dropped a song or two. It got a little boring towards the end. There isnīt any "new classics" in it. Canīt name a song that really sticks out. In good or bad way. Great riffs here and there. Better than St. Anger though.
Exactly the same thing here
A bit disappointed, I was expecting "a bit more" :s But for the moment the more I listen to it the more I like it
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Price of posting

where did you guys get/hear it from - its not out until 12/09??
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Price of posting

Metallica are metals version of Bon Jovi

the 1st 6 albums are amazing - then everything else after is average.

St Anger is possibly the worst record ive ever heard.
no solos and the songs go on forever.
when they came over on the st anger tour in 03 they played 1 song from that album.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Cut myself on angel hair
Slippery When Wet

Send a message via MSN to UKjovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by p34semm View Post
where did you guys get/hear it from - its not out until 12/09??
Thats what i was wondering .
Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via MSN to JerseyboyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by p34semm View Post
St Anger is possibly the worst record ive ever heard.
no solos and the songs go on forever.
That's personal opinion for ya, St Anger is BY FAR my favourite Metallica album. The only thing i don't like about it is the drum sound, although it cant help having the worlds worst drummer in your band.
No solos? Who gives a shit? Hammett can't solo for shit, the album would have lost its intensity if you'd stuck that douchebag's mindless noodling in.