Other Bands

Old 03-13-2004, 11:14 PM
It's my post

Default Shinedown - Leave A Whisper

This record was written for the dreamers
For the people that have, in one way or another
Been cut down or cast out of society for being
Different or having an opinion, it is an expression of
Insecurity and frustration, and yet, the will to overcome.

There's no turning back now that you've
Opened up to your mind.
Shinedown

Message on CD jacket of Leave A Whisper

I've been telling everyone for about 2-3 months now how great Shinedown is. Well, today I got their CD Leave A Whisper, and I'm majorly impressed. This CD is awesome. The music is incredible, the lyrics (written for the most part by the band) are great, everything about this CD is well done. I think every teenager in existence will probably relate to at least one song on this CD.

1.Fly From The Inside
Their first single, and it's a great pick. A very powerful song, with great lyrics and great music. Despite the rather depressive feel to it, its quite hopeful. 10/10

2.Left Out
Another great song. Sounds kind of like Metallica, but with more melodic in parts (I think). 8/10

3.Lost In The Crowd
Softer than the previous 2 songs, but still rock music. Great lyrics in the chorus, well done all around. Even has a guitar solo, which is a bonus. It sounds kinda like Richie's playing the solo. 9/10

4.No More Love
Great song, great chorus:

Despite the writing on the wall
My future's bleak and rather small
That's all you could ever take from me
I've got nothing to lose so let me be

The part of the song where he repeats "There's No More Love" get old in a real hurry though, so it loses some points. 7/10

5.Better Version
Kind of hopeful, kind of lamenting, all at the same time. Very enjoyable song to listen to though. Again, they lose points on the repetitions, this time with the rather ridiculous line "Show me my vital signs until I'm realigned." Sorry guys, this has been done already, and better, by Godsmack. Still its a good song. 7/10

6.Burning Bright
Adjectives fail me. This song is, IMO, brilliant. The music is great, the songwriting is incredible. The bridge is great, as is the chorus.
The more the light shines through me
I pretend to close my eyes
The more the dark consumes me
I pretend I'm burning, burning bright

Even if 45 wasn't on here, this song alone is reason to buy this CD. 11/10

7.In Memory
Good song about not living in the past, or letting others live their lives at your expense. Not the strongest song on the CD, but far from the weakest. 7/10

8.All I Ever Wanted
Someone did one heck of a job writing this. This song puts them in the "Creed" category of songwriters, and if that's not enough, there's great music, and the chorus is extremely catchy.
Because all I ever wanted
Was a place to call my home
To shelter me when I am there
And to miss me when I'm gone
All I ever wanted
Was a place to call my own
Where stars may dance and sun still shines
And the storms feel free to roam

When they refer to a will to overcome in the message I reprinted above, this song is a definite expression of that. I think there's even a guitar solo. 10/10

9.Stranger Inside
Calling all Staind fans...This song is incredibly depressing, but very well written. Again, the writing for this song is great. Very well done, very enjoyable to listen to. And I think there's another guitar solo in this one. 8/10

10.Lacerated
While this song is pulled off quite well, they don't do the topic of lost love very well. If anyone from Shinedown is reading this, please, don't do another song like this. One is enough. 4/10

11.Crying Out
Excellent song about letting go of everything that holds you down. Sounds kinda funky in the beginning with the electronic sound, but its a very traditional rock song. More great songwriting. 8/10

Their second single, and I must compliment them on their choice. Probably the second or third best song on the album. Starts off almost ballad-like, and grows into...well...one of the best mainstream rock songs around today. The writing for this song is beyond belief.
And I'm staring down the barrel of a 45,
Swimming through the ashes of another life
No real reason to accept the way things have changed
Staring down the barrel of a 45

Again, adjectives fail me. This and Burning Bright are more than a good enough reason for spending 10 bucks on this CD. 11/10

Adrian

What Part Of My Body Hurts The Most
What part of my soul is crying
For crying out loud
What part of my heart is beating
Faster than the speed of love
Is this the way that it's supposed to be
What Part Of My Body Hurts The Most
Come a little bit closer
Come here now
Let's see