View Single Post

Old 06-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS8MB0R8 View Post
I think the original Terminator film may actually be a 15 these days. Violence-wise, we've all seen stuff as bad in a 12A but the language in the original film is what would probably merit the 15 rating. I find it bemusing how editors of films in general see fit to leave in a few quite graphic scenes and omit the odd bit of swearing here and there in order to get a 12A certificate. Swearing is all part and parcel of what makes a film's script believable IMO and emphasises anger or desperation when used well.

It works both ways though cos if you look at some of the films that are being released as 18-rated at the moment, some of them are just plain disgusting and would never have seen the light of day 20 years ago. Look at 'Hostel' or the new one that's just coming out called 'Last House on the Left'. I admit that I have not seen either (nor do I want to) and I know everyone has different tastes but I just cannot understand who would enjoy going to watch 90mins of people cutting other people up as the central theme to a movie.

Terminator Salvation gets the balance of violence weighted a little towards the safe side but everything else about the film does enough to rescue it.
Last House On The Left is actually a remake itself - of an old Wes Craven movie. The original was very brutal, but it was kinda' the point of it.

I wouldn't say in that movie it's gratuitious as such - like it is in Hostel - as the point of the story is this gang hurt and kill the family's daughter so much that they then need to take appropriate revenge on them. But yeah, the original's a pretty disturbing film.

I can't see the remake having that same level to be honest.