View Single Post

Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 AM
These Days

The reality is that for the majority of Bon Jovi's fanbase, Bon Jovi is Jon. That's not to say that people don't appreciate and love Richie, but they love Richie in Bon Jovi.

I'm a massive Matchbox Twenty fan and I appreciate and admire Kyle Cook's role in MB20. I also know that he has made solo music, and he even takes lead vocals on the band's new album so I've been exposed to his music. Will I go out and buy his solo stuff? No. I love Nils Lofgren, but how does his solo work sell?

People are exposed to Richie in a particular role and are familiar with him in that way. The ultra diehards like us are exceptions to the rule, and only we will be interested in everything the individual band members do but we are just a tiny minority. This is why Jon doesn't give a **** about fans like us when designing a setlist because the truth is we represent such a minuscule proportion of the audience.

If Richie was serious about gaining success as a solo artist he would have to bust his shit going out and promoting his stuff, get properly involved in social media, knock on every radio door, play worldwide to small venues and festivals and build his audience over many years all around the world. Releasing the album in the shoddy manner in which AotL was released, playing only a handful of European shows, planning a few shows in the Northeast of the US and ignoring the rest of the world is not the way to gain an audience.

I hope Richie is happy with the album he made and proud of his product but he can't be surprised or feel bitter about how AotL was received (or not as is the case). Bon Jovi have built an audience and a fan base and can as such now get away with barely any promo and still have number 1 albums and sold out tours, Richie Sambora can't.
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days