View Single Post

Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
These Days

"Just Older" is a classic. Great lyrics, great music, and was always great live, especially when Jon & Richie shared the mic for the 2nd verse.

"Bells Of Freedom" is a catchy tune, but the most memorable thing about it is the passion in Jon'a voice. It lacks something though, a real solo maybe, some ad-lips, I don't know.

"Lost Highway" is a modern Bon Jovi classic for me with that decent country sound that matches them perfectly. I'm not the biggest fan of the album in total, but this one sticks out. It wasn't a good opener though.

"Make A Memory" made my top 5 of BJ songs, I guess... or at least my top 10. It reassured my faith in the band... it's a brilliant melancholic ballad that has nothing to do with the cheesy love ballads they wrote since "Crush" (though I enjoy them too). This song sounds more like real art, like the result of true songwriters that don't follow any trends. I thought it was brave to release it as a first single. I always read the lyrics to be about Jon & Richie... don't know how much of it is in there, but they sure had their conflicts around 1989/90, and it's a great song about friends getting back together. And it means something personally too. There you have it - it "means" something. This one really feels like it has a meaning, despite being crafted for airplay.
I cannot say how much I love the song!