Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Are you Musicians ? Can you play music ?

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you play an instrument ?
I can play just a little bit ... it doesn't influence my jovi taste 11 23.91%
I play music quite alot . I listen to Bon Jovi with musician ears 19 41.30%
I can't play at all but I'd love to be able to -jovi related or not) 6 13.04%
I can't play .I admire musicians but for me it's another world 3 6.52%
I am learning music because of Jovi (or others) 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Just posting

Default Are you Musicians ? Can you play music ?

I think this thread might have been posted in non jovi forum but my question is related to Jovi music too ... I am apologizing by advance to the long time posters if you have already replied many times at threads like this one ...

Ok here is the message .. I love to listen to music and more especially to Bon Jovi music songs lyrics and so on ... but my appreciation is very basic as I am not able to play any instrument .... I just admire the guys as musicians (so I love the live shows so much because I can see what I hear )

so for those who can play instruments .. does it influence you to judge a Jovi song good or not good ? do you listen to jovi with your heart or with your musician ability ? is it important for you to have a technical vision of the guys' music or do you basically enjoy it simply like : I like this because it talks to me ....or is it more .. I like this because technicaly it's very well done ...

Is playing music something more appealing for guys/men ? I can't play at all nor any of my daughters do (I am though admiring musicians skills every much and I dreaming I can play and I'd love to be able to but don't go further) ... but my husband began to learn alone piano and saxophone 2 years ago ... he is 55 LOL but is passionate like a kid ...

Old 02-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I used to play the piano pretty well, but am totally out of practice--so I'm not sure how to answer. LOL I'd say it definitely influenced my taste with Bon Jovi. When I first heard them, I really appreciated that they had a keyboard player in the band and have always thought they had a fuller sound than their peers because of Dave. I've always enjoyed the piano-heavy songs and hearing what Dave contributes. I also played bass guitar for a while, so I paid more attention to the bass, but never appreciated it as much as I appreciated the piano in their songs.

Becky
Old 02-14-2005, 10:20 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

First one for me. I can play guitar a little and bass pretty good. Although I've never played in a band so I don't really know how good I am. I can only really play easy stuff on guitar, but on the bass I can play most stuff, just find it hard keeping up sometimes.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via MSN to JenBJ

I'm learning...I began the guitar about more 1 year ago. I'd like to play like Richie or Slash I know, I'm dreaming, lol !
Old 02-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via MSN to Irishshin

Number three for me.

I took guitar lessons years and years ago but I still cannot play and I really regret I didnt try harder...could always take it up again I guess but I want to play the piano more than any other instrument!

Riptide Movement - Dublin - Apr 14
The Coronas - Cork & Dublin - Jun 14
Bryan Adams - Cork - Jun 14
Richie - Dublin - Jun 14
Garth Brooks - Dublin - Jul 14

Forza Ferrari!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

I've been playing the guitar for over 8 years. drums about the same and it's not boasting ot say i'm better than about 90% of musicians playing both instruments out there.

i can play bass too but don't like it as much. feels too restirictive compared to the guitar and i prefer getting a groove on the drums.

i play keys to a decent level and sing not too bad if it's in a key i'm comfortable with.

i can play the flute but havent for a coupla years but i cant imagine being too rusty on it

and i mess around a little with mandolin and other various stuff.

it's fair to say i'm a really musical person.

in the context of listening to music....

I'll get alot more to analyse from a song than your average listener. sometime it's a good thing, sometimes its bad.

if i hear a great guitar tone or some really intricate work that's lying underneath the mix i'll pick up on it and love it.

then again, i can let good songs be ruined by bad production or something really anal.

on the whole it's mainly the production that i notice more than non musicians i know because i have a decent understanding of what goes into making a record, getting the sounds you want, what sounds good where, mixing etc...

that probably sounds like i'm really up my own arse but it's not much different from a mate who's obsessed with playing football getting really in depth with teams formations and players performances on the telly whereas I just like watching the game.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:55 AM
Jovi Freak

Send a message via AIM to Keba

Bon Jovi inspired me to pick up guitar playing. Then after about a year, I realized that I sucked, so I stopped. I'm more of a singer, anyway.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

I've been playing the guitar for over 10 years now and I can say I play a decent note. I listen to music with a musical ear, however, music is not all technical, if you only listen to the technical stuff you're missing a lot emotion.

However, I hate it when there's a discussion going on about music and people tell me how good they think that guitarplayer is from Linkin Park when they can't play a decent note themselves. It's alright if they say so, but most can't handle it when you tell them the guitarplayer is sh1t. The same for other instruments. I hate it when people judge the technical stuff about music when they don't know what they're talking about. That's why so many musicians are overrated by their fans.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 02-15-2005, 10:00 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
I've been playing the guitar for over 10 years now and I can say I play a decent note. I listen to music with a musical ear, however, music is not all technical, if you only listen to the technical stuff you're missing a lot emotion.
Yep. I've been playing guitar for 19 years now, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I also play drums, keyboards, bass and basically anything with strings, I'm not too great on wind instruments. But I would never go as far as Jimbo and say I'm better than 90% of the other musicians. That shows either massive stupidness or massive ignorance and in any case it's not true. There are always better players.

For me it's emotion first and technique second. If both are in the same song, it's great.

Quote:
I hate it when people judge the technical stuff about music when they don't know what they're talking about. That's why so many musicians are overrated by their fans.
Right again. Truth is tough to handle sometimes.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:03 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
But I would never go as far as Jimbo and say I'm better than 90% of the other musicians. That shows either massive stupidness or massive ignorance and in any case it's not true. There are always better players.
Indeed, but I just ignored that part.

Quote:
Right again. Truth is tough to handle sometimes.
Exactly. And don't tell them you're better than their favorite "best" guitarplayer, because it CAN'T BE TRUE!!!!

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan