Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

1984-2004, 2005-2016 Two different eras

New Bon Jovi Releases


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-31-2016, 01:49 PM
Tiggerbeast Tiggerbeast is offline
Senior Member
Next 100 Posts
 
Join Date: 10 Aug 2010
Gender: male
Posts: 112
Default 1984-2004, 2005-2016 Two different eras

I've been listening to all the Bon Jovi albums in chronological order. I have to say that from 'Bon Jovi: Bon Jovi' through to 'Bounce' the albums really rocked. Even when they didn't their were some really good ballads. Even 'This Left Feels Right' has some original touches.

Then I listen to the John Shanks era. 'Have A Nice Day' is where it all started going wrong. Though the opening track is very strong, the rest of the album is no where near as good as the previous records. Then after that the albums get less and less rock and more pop and terrible.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 12-31-2016, 02:42 PM
LarryBJ LarryBJ is offline
Senior Member
Next 100 Posts
 
Join Date: 16 Oct 2016
Gender: male
Posts: 132
Default

For me it goes like
Bon Jovi-These Days : The Glam-Rock Years (Glam until NJ)
Crush-Bounce : The transisional period
HAND-now : The .i. years...... (Worst moment:Lost Highway.....i just can't stand this country CRAP........well i can't stand WAN too but LH just drives me crazy)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2016, 06:08 PM
BD135 BD135 is offline
Member
Runaway
 
Join Date: 27 Sep 2012
Location: California
Gender: male
Posts: 67
Default

One of the biggest transitions for me was from 2000 going further. Crush was a make-or-break point for BJ in the US. Since Crush, outside writers have been used more and more.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2016, 06:12 PM
Bounce7800's Avatar
Bounce7800 Bounce7800 is offline
Super Moderator
Destination any Forum
 
Join Date: 02 Jul 2006
Location: Dagenham, UK
Age: 36
Gender: male
Posts: 4,085
Default

It was These Days tanking in the US which brought about all that follows. Who knows what could have followed if it had worked out better in 95/96. Absolutely huge over here, absolute peak of their popularity.
__________________
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 32
Gender: male
Posts: 9,363
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

I will always make the divide 1984 - 1995 and 2000 - 2016. What came after 2005 fits perfectly in the world of the watered down pop sound Crush brought on. It's not the big rock album everyone seems to mistake it for, it was super poppy. More organic instrumentation and a more natural drum sound though. Heck, the Shanks era was a RETURN to bigger sounding guitars if anything. The problem is the album tracks starting getting indistinguishable from each other.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Dave 1986's Avatar
Dave 1986 Dave 1986 is offline
Senior Member
Posting Always
 
Join Date: 28 Aug 2002
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Age: 30
Gender: male
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986 Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 1986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I will always make the divide 1984 - 1995 and 2000 - 2016. What came after 2005 fits perfectly in the world of the watered down pop sound Crush brought on. It's not the big rock album everyone seems to mistake it for, it was super poppy. More organic instrumentation and a more natural drum sound though. Heck, the Shanks era was a RETURN to bigger sounding guitars if anything. The problem is the album tracks starting getting indistinguishable from each other.


Completely agree. The 1984-95/96 era of albums can be grouped together and flow very nicely. I always thought this since I really dug deep into the past albums by the end of 2001. By that time Crush seemed out of place even then. Every album after that flows seamlessly in terms of tone/quality (Obviously none of them sound the same).

I never mark the split between the pre/post Shanks eras. I doubt history would have changed much had the band never used him. Have a Nice Day sounded like a more back-to-basics album than it's two effects-driven predecessors in terms of being more organic-sounding.
__________________
Dave

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_the_trooper

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Blaze of Posting
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 32
Gender: male
Posts: 9,363
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Pretty much yes yes yes. Bounce had a more aggressive guitar sound but it wasn't a sound they'd really had prior. Drop D and baritone guitars were never that much part of the sound they used and it's no coincidence how much they had the sound that was big on the radio at the time (Creed especially).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:16 AM
Kukoc7's Avatar
Kukoc7 Kukoc7 is offline
Senior Member
Livin' on a Post
 
Join Date: 03 Jun 2014
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerbeast View Post
I've been listening to all the Bon Jovi albums in chronological order. I have to say that from 'Bon Jovi: Bon Jovi' through to 'Bounce' the albums really rocked. Even when they didn't their were some really good ballads. Even 'This Left Feels Right' has some original touches.

Then I listen to the John Shanks era. 'Have A Nice Day' is where it all started going wrong. Though the opening track is very strong, the rest of the album is no where near as good as the previous records. Then after that the albums get less and less rock and more pop and terrible.
For me, I enjoy most of the post 2005 collection just as much as the pre-2005 material. ...And that's an opinion coming from a 43 year old male, growing up with 80's Bon Jovi and purchasing TD in my college years on the day of its release.
__________________

"I swear I'm gonna live forever
Tell my maker he can wait..."

Last edited by Kukoc7; 01-01-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:37 AM
Kukoc7's Avatar
Kukoc7 Kukoc7 is offline
Senior Member
Livin' on a Post
 
Join Date: 03 Jun 2014
Posts: 289
Default

In fact, my three least favorite Jovi albums are 7800* Fahrenheit, Bounce, & WAN. All happen to come from entirely different eras.
__________________

"I swear I'm gonna live forever
Tell my maker he can wait..."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Captain Walrus's Avatar
Captain Walrus Captain Walrus is offline
Moderator
Tokyo Road
 
Join Date: 03 Aug 2002
Location: Surrey, UK
Age: 30
Gender: male
Posts: 11,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1986 View Post
.. By that time Crush seemed out of place even then. Every album after that flows seamlessly in terms of tone/quality (Obviously none of them sound the same).
I think that Crush makes sense more as a follow up to Destination Anywhere & Undiscovered Soul than These Days, both of them went in a bit more poppy direction which they obviously extended for the next band album
__________________


Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.