View Single Post

Old 09-16-2019, 02:42 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonboy25 View Post
Jon still has rasp in the studio. The end of thinfs, devil in the temple? Granted he doesnt do it that way live for whatever reason but in the studio, with shanks trickery he can still sound good
I don't think it's "Shank's Trickery"... He's not the guy working on Jon's vocals... Some stuff might get drowned out with his over production style but Shanks is the Independent Producer. He's just putting the puzzle together and filling in the empty pieces while Jon's relaxing in the Hampton's.

I'm not 100% sure how Jon does it but my guess is, he sings the entire song straight through and then goes back and does overdubs singing lines or maybe even individual words to hit certain notes.

Most fans are familiar with that little overdub snippet of IML. Where Jon adds in the "Yeah Yeah Yeah It's My Life..." The Yeahs were obviously edited out of the final cut but I think Jon did that to help hit those notes... It's like a runner getting a few steps in before he crosses the start line verses the one starting from a still position..

Crush was recorded with analog equipment in Jon's studio however, now with digital recordings, cleaning vocals is even easier than ever. Look how they clean all those live tracks were... Combine that with multiple studio takes, overdubs, and over produced music...

Considering the amount of time Jon spends in the studio, I'd say Jon sings each song a few times all the way through live. They edit the best parts together... He probably goes back later on to do some overdubs and that's it... The rest is cleaned using technology. Jon could probably do his part, 20 songs, in a week.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk