View Single Post

Old 11-06-2019, 12:52 AM
Breakout

In my opinion this is one of his best written songs in the last 20 years if not more. As someone who has watched a handful of veteran focused documentaries, and talked to a few of them in person, the lyrics grabbed me from the start and it was an emotional ride. His voice sounds just as broken as a lot of veterans are and to me it was fitting (though sad cuz I wish he sounded so much better).

Jon has mentioned so many times that his songwriting influences are Dylan and Cohen though to me he didn't even try to write anything like them. But this song, this song has for once (again, in my opinion) hinted at Cohen's style. It presents storytelling through the different stages in the mind of a soldier. It doesn't impose the chorus but delivers it when the lyrics reach the need of a prayer.

This line "I live my life for each tomorrow
So their memories will live on" is, as a matter of fact something a Vietnam veteran told me during a flight. Very emotional.

That being said, I feel he liked the lyrics so much the melody ended up suffering to give room for all the words in some lines. As a result, it is difficult for me to connect with the melody...but it has been growing on me.

All in all, I really like it...